Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: "Alternative version MD games for sale on eBay

1. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    What we really need is USB-flashable carts for classic systems.
    I'd rather have all my roms on a system that can play them directly, rather than on a system that needs to emulate.
    xbox isnt good enough for you?

2. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    What we really need is USB-flashable carts for classic systems.
    I'd rather have all my roms on a system that can play them directly, rather than on a system that needs to emulate.
    Similar to a Nintendo Power service... hmmm.

PIPE DREAM THAT I'VE COME UP WITH:

With all the 'classic' TV systems being sold today... this could work pretty well. Sega/Nintendo/Whoever basically could sell rerelease (yet again) some of their older systems in even smaller form, and sell a cart similar to a flash drive. I'd come with your usual pre-installed stuff, but the bonus would be that the cart would have a USB port. Go to their site, and for a reasonable price ($0.99 to $9.99 at most), you could permanently download games. The catch would be that you would have to register the files, plus only a certain amount of download games/content could be stored on a cart on a time. That could/would possibly stop people from putting a shitload of ROMs on the cart and selling it as a bootleg. Moreover, with all the fansub ROMs there are on the internet, all being done by dedicated teams, the possiblity exist that Americans can legally play many of the games that never crossed the Pacific. Game companies could pay the translating teams a certain amount of money plus give them due credit in return for ownership and distribution of the fansubs they've made. Games that have many translations could have full trials that expire after ten days available for all interested, and consumers could vote on which translation they want, as well as if they still want Japanese title screens/font type (Akumajou Densetsu and Gryzor come to mind here). To me, the fansub thing would be even more far-fetched even though it would be the easiest thing for them. These companies (especially Square Enix) know where/how to find who's been doing the translations, and know that, as fans, most if not all of them would be more than willing to co-operate with Square if both of them are reasonable (Square/whoever doesn't charge a shitload for the game, nor do they censor/alter the game without consent; Translators respect the fact that while the translation may be their work, the subject itself isn't, and should strive to stay as close to the artists vision as possible).

The most far-fetched idea would be a dedicated system for all this. Have a company like Jakks Pacific or Radica make a system, and have Sega, Nintendo, Namco, Hudson, NEC, Capcom, etc. endorse it. However, those companies would have to specify which version you are downloading (e.g. Konami allows both Genesis and SNES versions of Sparkster for download, or states which one their allowing and why). If not, then just have dedicated Genesis, SNES and TurboGrafx machines.

TurboGrafx... who would currently have the rights to that stuff?

3. 800 companies

"Game companies could pay the translating teams a certain amount of money plus give them due credit in return for ownership and distribution of the fansubs they've made."
    What are they going to give them, royalties? 10 percent of zero dollars is still zero dollars
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 28 Jun 2005 at 11:24 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams
    800 companies

"Game companies could pay the translating teams a certain amount of money plus give them due credit in return for ownership and distribution of the fansubs they've made."
    What are they going to give them, royalties? 10 percent of zero dollars is still zero dollars
    No. Most translations I know of are done by groups like DeJap, RPGOne, etc. Or they'll list their actual names. In any case, a company would simply buy the translation outright from them, and acknowledge that they did the translation. Give them credit for it. Example: Square Enix pays the group that did the English translation for Seiken Densetsu 3 (for the sake of argument, let's call them M3FS) something like $5,000.00 dollars. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but better than nothing, and definitely better than being on Square's bad side. Square gets the translation, M3FS gets the recognition, both sides agree on what needs/doesn't need to be modified, shake hands, M3FS goes on their merry way, Seiken Densetsu 3 finally comes to the U.S. in English with no legal problems. People who want the game on their T.V. screen without having to resort to emulation or piracy get their wish, Square makes cash off theirs, and everyone lives happily ever after*.

*That is, everyone who wants to go about things the right way.

5. No, I am saying that no one is going to buy the games. Six people on TNL doesn't cover 5 grand. Yeah, they get DOWNLOADED and all that, but most probably aren't willing to pay.

6. People are mad because the guy is helping resolve a supply problem with those games. Pity the poor game gougers, charging $200 for a freakin' Genny cart.
    No gnus is good gnus.

7. Quote Originally Posted by RoleTroll
    People are mad because the guy is helping resolve a supply problem with those games. Pity the poor game gougers, charging $200 for a freakin' Genny cart.
    Counterfeit goods serve a purpose! Good point RollTroll!

VICTIMLESS CRIME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    I'd be more than willing to give some guy $30, to have a copy of Radiant Silvergun.
    I'll sell you a copy of Radiant Silvergun for $30.