Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My movie ratings

1. WTF? Gladiator is god awful. Apart from its slightly above average fight scenes and acceptable cinematography, it has nothing. Horrible dialogue, Characters you don't give a shit about, piss poor acting. I don't get why people even remember this movie (I had to fucking study it for school). I mean, just for example, none of you have even mentioned the emporor by his name (Commodus I think).

2. He's named after a toilet. How could you not remember a name like that?
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

3. Quote Originally Posted by Zerohero
    I respect your opinion but I enjoyed the movies. Their not the best but they are good spy thriller movies in my opinion.
    Well what other spy movies are out. The last movie I saw with a spy besides bourne identity was XXX

Shit was he a spy?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Zerohero
    Please explain to me why you hate it so much. I knew before I watched it what I was getting into. I for one loved the story even though it had mucho amounts of cheese factor to them.
    Partly because it's way overrated. Many asian action cinema fans claim it''s great and I followed the recommendation with that in mind. But while watching it, it is completely sub standard in every way, especially for the type of movie it is. The story is completely dull, the actors are....there and it really felt and looked like nothing better than a college film.

And the action scenes were really nothing special. It was too been there, done that and just fucking stupid. And only certain parts stood out where the directer had a good angle or a fitting camera movement that really only highlighted a crafty hand movement. In all the action scenes there was about a minute of interesting footage. I think in the original thread for it, I wrote about how much is sucked and some otaku was like "Oh but that's how the director PLAYS with the camera. His lighthearted and frantic movements show off his carefree and fresh perspective blah blah blah." Something along those lines. Which, is complete bullshit. Stupid reasoning that is just fanboy talk that ignored the fact that it was amatuerish all the way through. Nothing that hadn't been done before and better by countless other movies just like it. And the ending sucked too. Not that it really matters because it pretty much matched the rest of the movie. I never bought into the world of the movie, so I found everything in it stupid. I just don't see why anyone would recommend it let alone sit through it a second time. I see Versus as a shitty (live action) anime - a complete waste of time.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy
    Partly because it's way overrated. Many asian action cinema fans claim it''s great and I followed the recommendation with that in mind. But while watching it, it is completely sub standard in every way, especially for the type of movie it is. The story is completely dull, the actors are....there and it really felt and looked like nothing better than a college film.

And the action scenes were really nothing special. It was too been there, done that and just fucking stupid. And only certain parts stood out where the directer had a good angle or a fitting camera movement that really only highlighted a crafty hand movement. In all the action scenes there was about a minute of interesting footage. I think in the original thread for it, I wrote about how much is sucked and some otaku was like "Oh but that's how the director PLAYS with the camera. His lighthearted and frantic movements show off his carefree and fresh perspective blah blah blah." Something along those lines. Which, is complete bullshit. Stupid reasoning that is just fanboy talk that ignored the fact that it was amatuerish all the way through. Nothing that hadn't been done before and better by countless other movies just like it. And the ending sucked too. Not that it really matters because it pretty much matched the rest of the movie. I never bought into the world of the movie, so I found everything in it stupid. I just don't see why anyone would recommend it let alone sit through it a second time. I see Versus as a shitty (live action) anime - a complete waste of time.

Excellent finaly someone who wants to debate....

Before watching Versus I happen to come accross the trailer for it. I saw guns, people doing flips, and sword fights. Now knowing asian cinema I for some reason knew not to expect to much out of the film let alon the story. Seriously it was a movie funded on 10,000 dollars so I asked myself why do so many people like it. When I finaly got ahold of it the story actually turned out intresting. Two Samuria from the past fighting over a girl who has the dark destructive power in her blood. Cut to the present and we are in the same situation. Every character plays out there same roll everytime down through hsitory for only one purpose. It seemed intresting.

Now I will admit that the movie lagged through after the first 30 minutes but it does pick up tword the end. I can see how that could bor anyone. Heck I'm surprised it didn't bore me, but there was something intresting about the fighting and style of the movie I liked.

All in all, in most standards one would say the movie sucks especially if that kind of movie was made here. Thats why I said it's one of those guilty pleasures.

Oh and I thought the ending was really cool. It added a whole new deepness to the movie.
    Last edited by Zerohero; 03 Jul 2005 at 11:32 AM.
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

6. Quote Originally Posted by Zerohero
    Honestly which one can you re watch over and over if you had to?
    Late answer, but:

1) That's terrible criteria for judging a movie. According to that, Bad Boys is a better film than La Strada.

2) I can watch Alien over and over, while Aliens bores me after a while (regarding repeat viewings). I definitely think that Alien is less a product of the 70s than Aliens is of the 80s, and some of the dialog in Aliens is pretty painful (then again, it wouldn't be a James Cameron movie without some awful dialog sprinkled about). I also think Alien has proven to be the more influencial film overall, in pacing, style and mood.

3) Chestburster scene > fight with queen

7. Quote Originally Posted by Zerohero
    Now knowing asian cinema I for some reason knew not to expect to much out of the film let alon the story.
    If your experience with Asian cinema has led you to this conclusion, then you should get to know it better, because Versus is about a zero. You and nearly everybody else at this forum need to get off the cock of shitty Asian action/horror/comedy movies like they're all that come out of that whole region of the world. It's embarrasing that people's expectations for movies from there are so incredibly low that something like Versus gets some kind of credible status. ...And if that makes me a film snob, then Despair and Enemagirl can eat it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    Enemagirl
    Heh.

9. I just browsed through this thread and.

1. VERSUS is fucking shit. Style my ass!

2. Commodus does stab Maxmimus before he fights him so thats another reason Commodus thinks he can win.

3. Aliens does not have crap dialog and is better than Alien in repeat viewings.

Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

10. You and nearly everybody else at this forum need to get off the cock of shitty Asian action/horror/comedy movies like they're all that come out of that whole region of the world. It's embarrasing that people's expectations for movies from there are so incredibly low that something like Versus gets some kind of credible status. ...And if that makes me a film snob, then Despair and Enemagirl can eat it.
    IBTN.

I keep saying it like its a broken record, but watch Kurosawa's Ran and Yimou's Raise the Red Lantern. Two of, I would say, the top 5 films ever made.