Thread: (E3 2002) Konami Booth Highlights

1. (E3 2002) Konami Booth Highlights

DDR, MGS, Suikoden 3, and Contra!

Heyo folks, I'm coming live and direct from the show, just dropping in to post a mid-day report of sorts. First up is Konami, and boy are they impressive this year...

For starters, we have Contra: Shattered Soldier for the PS2. Wipe away horrible memories of the PSX era Contras and be prepared for the true sequel to the series. While the game isn't in 2D (suprise), it plays EXACTLY like it's 16-bit bretheren. Flip jumps, hanging from railings, big bosses followed by even bigger bosses, and all wrapped up in in 2.5D gameplay. Visually the whole deal is a treat, with sharp visuals, 60fps gameplay, and enough pyrotechnics to make any ILM slave happy. Hopefully we'll get some footage uploaded ASAP.

Next up is Suikoden III, also on PS2. I didn't spend too much time checking it out, as it still looks early in development. The characters, environments, and such are top-notch but it's creeping at a bad frame rate. I'll need to see more before going in detail.

Castlevania was also there in full force...well, as far as the GBA goes. Dissonance, the next in the Castlevania series, is looking quite nice with graphics that meet and surpass Circle of the Moon in many areas. It also feels a lot like SotN - whether it's because of the semi-3D sprinkled in parts or the new protagonist who smacks of Alucard, it's hard to say.

Konami also unveiled 2 interesting trailers - MGS2: Substance and Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. Substance looks like what will be the PS2 incarnation of MGS: VR Missions, but with weird situations in certain missions. The trailer showed Snake up against giant soldiers, and multiple characters to play as. 2nd Runner appears to be the follow up to ZOE, and much of the trailer showed off many in-game fights, which look highly action oriented.

Edit: oops, Substance is actually MSG2 plus extras, not just a VR-like deal.

And what would Konami be if it weren't for DDR? So of course, your favorite (or reviled) dancing game is here in two forms. DDR Konamix, which is already alvailable for the PSX and DDR Max for the PS2. Both are as self-exlanatory as ever, and as far as graphics go...well, how much more can you do with floating arrows anyway?

Now onto the other reports... ^_^

2. Cool news Hero Keep up a good work

I wonder if those trailers will be available for download?

3. Hero...!!?!?!?!

How in the HELL can you go to Konami and not try to dig SOMETHING up on the new Silent Hill?!?

I'm so ashamed...
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

4. I recorded their whole Silent Hill 3 trailer today. PR was being tight lipped though (I hate running out of business cards).
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

5. I think the important thing to remeber about Substance is not only are there VR missions and the like, but there is also Metal Gear Skateboarding. Yeah. Skateboarding. I think that's a worse crossover than Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball.

6. Originally posted by RobertRence
    I think the important thing to remeber about Substance is not only are there VR missions and the like, but there is also Metal Gear Skateboarding. Yeah. Skateboarding. I think that's a worse crossover than Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball.
    The Metal Gear Skateboard game is not a full game, rather a mini-game featured in Evolution Skateboarding.