Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SiN 2 to be released episodically through Steam.

1. SiN 2 to be released episodically through Steam.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59893

Ritual Entertainment's long-awaited Sin 2 is to be released episodically over Valve's Steam digital distribution system, with episodes lasting around six hours each to be released "every three to four months" for around $20 (£11.38) an episode.

The first episode is set to be released on Steam this Winter, but it's not yet known whether the game will also be released in boxed form.

In a rare interview with PC Gamer, Ritual CEO Steve Nix said: "We've been talking to Valve about Steam for about four years now, and we've always wanted to get back to the SiN universe.

"We talked to publishers about doing it, but we never felt able to make the product we wanted to make with the next SiN." That is, until the relative freedom offered by Steam came along; something several developers must be seriously looking into at this point.

The Valve-Ritual relationship is to go even further than that, with SiN 2 being developed using a tweaked version of the same Source engine that powered the legendary Half-Life 2.

An exclusive eight page cover feature on the game is the main focus for the UK version of PC Gamer (available to subscribers today, and on sale in newsagents soon), and goes into detail regarding the hopes of the team, and some of the core innovations. Check back shortly for an overview of what to expect.

Interestingly, the Ritual feature is followed by an exclusive four page interview with Bill Van Buren, Marc Laidlaw and Bill Fletcher from Valve - the key men behind Half-Life 2.
    Interesting. I'm surprised more independent PC developers haven't decided to distribute through Steam, but perhaps this is the first of many. I hope episodic content doesn't become the norm, though.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Interesting. I'm surprised more independent PC developers haven't decided to distribute through Steam
    Maybe because they realize that Steam sucks.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rhydant
    Maybe because they realize that Steam sucks.
    <Pro-Steam witticism>

4. Yeah, I'm sure it would suck to make ten or twenty times as much money to do the game your team has dreamed of doing since they started out in the industry. I guess you're right.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

5. This is awesome. Except there are some serious potential problems
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 04 Jul 2005 at 03:50 PM.

6. Let's say 5 episodes (estimated) x $20 = $100. Call me when it's packaged and in a box, the last game I considered worth over $100 was Radiant Silvergun.

James

7. At least it's not .hack

8. Ritual Entertainment's long-awaited Sin 2
    Who was waiting for it? I had no idea it was even being developed.

9. I was, honestly. I was such a huge fan of it before the original was released, and even with it's flaws (some bigger than others), I saw it as an FPS that added some interesting ideas to the genre.

But even I laughed at that line. It was just me and maybe 10 other people.

I was waiting for it too but I didn't want a damn episodic downloadable game.