Thread: (E3 2002) Nintendo Booth Highlights

1. (E3 2002) Nintendo Booth Highlights

Where did you think I would go today?

Here's a quick rundown of what Nintendo's showing. What's worthy of mention is Nintendo's dedication to the GBA to GC connectivity. Last year we didn't hear much about it and this time there's a whole section dedicated to it. Animal Crossing (or Animal Forrest) was there, the eCard Reader was shown off, and Phantasy Star Online even exhibited some GBA functionality. It seems that you'll be able to play a mini game of PuyoPuyo, mess in a Chao Garden, or even play a NiGHTS score attack game. Even the rumored multiplayer Zelda is a reality, but doesn't look like a part of Link to the Past but rather a mini-game you can play through the GC Zelda title.

Speaking of Zelda, I got to see it first hand. Grainy videos from Space World do it no justice - it is purely remarkable. The 'cel' style everyone has been fighting over doesn't even resemble other cel-shaded games, but rather something hand-painted and on the level of a Disney movie. It's hard to describe because, quite frankly, I've never seen anything like it. Link is a friggin marvel to see; facial expressions alone are enough to make you fall in love with him, but the kid is oh-so maneuverable too. It also looks like the multiplayer Zelda for GBA is a part of this game too, since Nintendo had it side by side and <i>A Link to the Past</i> off in another corner. Not to mention the dungeon design and character sprites for the multiplayer are completely different from the SNES remake.

Of course what day would be complete without checking out Mario Sunshine? I had the honor of playing this first hand, and came away feeling very weird. First off, the game's palette is BRIGHT and can cause major headaches for the photosensitive. Next, the game looks remarkable. Nintendo went to town with the water by exhibiting clear blue seas, real water effects, a camera that 'fogs' up when you go under water and back up, and Mario's water tank which in itself is a marvel. The tank is a multi-purpose tool which can be used to propel Mario around, attack enemies, and clean up things from paint to oil slicks. I guess Nintendo does love us, because this game has come a LONG way visually, and the gameplay is new, yet familiar, and the final gift to gamers...can you say August 2002 release date in the US? What a change of pace.

I doubt ANYTHING on Nintendo's booth could project 'change' better than Metroid Prime. Yes, it's a first person...uh...'adventure,' but just get over it. Samus is way more versatile than before, with a salvo of weapons and items at her disposal. Not to mention that with the first person view you get access to tools like a sight scope, view magnification, and the like. Visually this thing blazes along at 60fps and never misses a beat - no matter how hectic the action is. At first I was interested in it, and now Prime has moved up to number 3 on my must-play list.

Overall, Nintendo's showing everything they promised but isn't pulling any surprises as of yet. The GBA support is in full swing with <i>Metroid Fusion, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Mickey's Magical Adventure</i> (Capcom's SNES platformer), and many connectivity games as well. The GameCube lineup is killer too, with the 'big three' and solid showings in <i>Wario Land, Starfox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Mario Party 4</i>, among others.

2. THanks for impressions. I was wondering how Prime and ED were coming along, and these are great news. Cant wait to try both games, or at least see videos of them in action

3. Nice write-up Hero. Thanks for the impressions.

I'm gonna be so broke come fall! Too many good games for the finances to handle.

Wow, sounds like Nintendo really does love us.

Wario Land for the NGC? Did I miss someting?

5. Thanks for the impressions Hero. Lucky guy getting to play Mario Sunshine... ^^