Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: screenshots of unreleased RAVE RACER for PowerVR (PC) cards

1. I think I found an official response from Videologic about Rave Racer, from 1997, 98 or 99

http://members.fortunecity.com/the_ape/question.htm

What happened to the Namco games like Rave Racer that was seen in Next Generation magazine? In fact, what happened with the agreement with Namco?

We cannot comment on Namco's title development plans.

2. I was trying to update the images in the OP but by accident I replied instead of edited, thus bumping the thread.

anyway, re-uploaded images of the article:

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 11 Feb 2008 at 04:12 PM.

3. You'd think that a DC conversion would have been available, since the console used the Power VR2 chipset.

I came here thinking "wait a minute, didn't he do this exact same thread before?"

What the hell just happened? He just quoted himself?

5. Quote Originally Posted by dog$ View Post
    I came here thinking "wait a minute, didn't he do this exact same thread before?"

What the hell just happened? He just quoted himself?
    Yeah, he did.

What I don't get, is that I can see the pictures of the magazine, after he quoted himself. Yet, I only see a small pic of the mag in the original post.

6. Please use the simg tags in the future to keep threads blow out free. You noob.

7. Guys, is there any way to play Air Combat 22 on a pc then? does any emulator work with the rom?

8. For you? Always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. I rememeber reading about this back then. I was a big PC gamer then and I was really excited about the advent of 3D cards. I wanted an Edge 3D, but (luckily) I never got an accellerator til the Voodoo came out.

Rave Racer would have been a good one, but the PowerVR cards sucked.

10. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    You'd think that a DC conversion would have been available, since the console used the Power VR2 chipset.
    I would've loved Dreamcast versions of the original arcade games, not ports of the PC conversions.

The original arcade Rave Racer and Air Combat 22 did not used PowerVR, they used Namco's System 22 and System Super 22 boards which themselves used a bunch of DSPs and Evans & Sutherland's (graphics/simulation company like SGI) the TR^3 chipset. (which stands for Texture-Mapping, Real-Time, Real-Visual, Rendering System.)

The Namco PC conversions that never got released used the Power VR1 chipset, which did not have as much horsepower as the combined processing power of what's in System 22 (DSPs, TR^3, more RAM) much less Super System 22 (enhanced System 22) but that would've been no problem for the Dreamcast with its overwhelmingly more powerful Power VR2DC chipset backed up by the SH-4 CPU providing all the geometry & lighting.
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 11 Feb 2008 at 04:10 PM.