Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox + HDTV - I've got questions

1. Xbox + HDTV - I've got questions

I recently got a 16:9 HDTV capable of going up to 1080i. When I'm watching/playing something that outputs in 480p, I have a button on my remote that lets me stretch the picture out to best display the picture. However, when it outputs in something higher (720p, 1080i, etc) it is supposed to auto detect and display it as God intended. When I'm running XBMC I KNOW that it's displaying at 720p (or 1080i if I feel like it) and when I push my "pic size" button, it doesn't let me change anything. This is good.

But, it doesn't do that when I'm watching DVDs. Does this mean that the maximum resolution for watching DVDs on the Xbox is 480p? And, if so, are there DVD players that output in higher resolution? Or, is it simply dependant on the DVD?

My main concern is that even with my widescreen TV, when I watch DVDs, I'm still getting black bars at the top and bottom. I can stretch the picture to fit it, but it always looks weird. Shouldn't the DVDs fill up the whole screen naturally? And I'm not talking about old DVDs either. I'm talking like, Animatrix from the Matrix box set.

Also, I could use some help properly setting my video settings (contrast, sharpness, etc.)

Holla back.

2. Anyone?

3. I'm no expert, but I think DVDs today are 480i (576i for PAL, progressive players will deinterlace it and give you 480p/576p). HD-DVD through HD-DVD players will be 720.

As for your other problem, can't help you. Does other widescreen content give you black bars or only your Xbox?

4. I don't run DVD's with my Xbox, but I know you can go into the video settings of your Xbox and set it to widescreen, full or letterbox. Hope that helps.

5. You're going to have black bars on some DVDs regardless because movies are primarily filmed in two different aspect ratios: 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 (I think those are right). DVDs that are anamorphic and shot in 1.85:1 should fit correctly on your TV as long as everything is setup correctly, but 2.35:1 movies will still have the black bars. I don't really know too much about widescreen TVs, but I'm pretty sure that info is correct.

6. Quote Originally Posted by flux=rad
    You're going to have black bars on some DVDs regardless because movies are primarily filmed in two different aspect ratios: 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 (I think those are right). DVDs that are anamorphic and shot in 1.85:1 should fit correctly on your TV as long as everything is setup correctly, but 2.35:1 movies will still have the black bars. I don't really know too much about widescreen TVs, but I'm pretty sure that info is correct.
    That is correct.

Anamorphic widescreen was designed for 16:9 televisions. When your veiwing a 2.35:1 movie on a widescreen television, you're still going to see the black bars, but with 1.85:1, the bars are eliminated.

http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm

7. Quote Originally Posted by Korly
    Also, I could use some help properly setting my video settings (contrast, sharpness, etc.)
    i use a disc from AVIA. suprisingly my settings from just eyeballing it were VERY close to what they recommneded anyway.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    i use a disc from AVIA. suprisingly my settings from just eyeballing it were VERY close to what they recommneded anyway.
    Yeah, that disk is about $100. Did you get it for free?

I did use the suggestions from the website, to adjust my picture though.

9. I think netflix has a dvd like AVIA. And I'm pretty sure Lucasfilms has a THX calibration disc (it's on a few of their dvd's too).

10. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    Yeah, that disk is about $100. Did you get it for free?
    arrrrr