Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo gaming: From the NES to the N64

1. Super Famicom Nintendo gaming: From the NES to the N64

Nintendo brought us some of the best games over the past 3 decades, countless classics such as Mario, Zelda, and Multiplayer gaming that appealed to all age groups. They're all about fun.

But also we can't forget other developers during that time period that supported the consoles and helped build up an awesome library. This thread is to remember games that were released on the NES, Snes, and Nintendo 64. Tell us what your favourites were. Here's mine...

THE OLDIES (NES, SNES, N64)

Megaman 1-6, X Series
    Release 1987 - 1993
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom

In 1987 Capcom introduced what would prove to be one of its most popular characters worldwide - and despite what has been universally called the ugliest box art of all time, (As seen Here Mega Man began to catch on in the US, whose game market is decidedly different from Japan's. At the same time, Rockman was slipping onto Famicom systems in Japan. And the game has been milked with RPG, and even racing spin offs based on the series

It's gone on to spawn well over 70 games to this day. Famed for it's difficulty level Mega Man games throw you in at the deep end, pick a level, and star blasting. No tutorials, hints, etc. Just you against an armada of various robots with a strainous amount of platforming. It's hardcore difficulty has earned itself a world wide status.

Media/Screens

Japanese Version:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mario Bros 1-3, Mario World 1-2. Mario 64
    Release: 1985 - 1995
    Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo

Back in 1985 Nintendo brought the NES and Mario bros onto the gaming scene where it went down brilliantly and spawned a ton load of high quality sequels. The Mario games made Nintendo the gaming giants they are today. And rightly so, the series balanced fun gameplay with an addictive structure and some challenging platforming. It's simple and fun, as the years went by Nintendo had perfected the series with the inclusion of Mario Bros 3 on the NES. Regarded as one of the best games of all time and one of the best selling too. The surreal design was also a reason why the series was so succesful (Flying turtles and mushrooms with legs WTF?) With each and every sequel Nintendo evolved the series into something bigger each and every time.

With the release of the SNES came the Super Mario World series and while not as numerous as the NES predesessors, they went down great due to the improved level design and the variety of additions added into the game. The series keeps changing and growing, which still makes it the popular series it is today. Mario 64 was what really brought the series into it's own though with it's breathtaking 3D visual style, and excellently implemented puzzles, moves and level design.

Media/Screens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64
    Release: 1992

If there was one thing that Nintendo made MK solely for it was for Party gaming. Gathering friends over for battles and races were incredibely memorable. The gameplay mechanics are simple, the style of the previous platformers were carried over to the game, and the weapons system made for fast and furious battles on and off the track.

With the launch of the N64 came MK 64. While people say it's inferior to it's predesscor the game brought the series into 3D. Added additions were included along with more characters, and a different look. With added 4 player this installement was many a gamers favourite multiplayer.
    It's simplicity is the reason why they are so good, and even today with installments such as Double Dash the games hold up incredibely well despite the age of the series.

Media/Screens

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Legend of Zelda NES/SNES, Legend of Zelda: OOT, Majoras Mask
    Release: 1986 - 2000

The other major franchise by Nintedo, the Zelda series proved just as crucial to Nintendo's success as Mario did during the early years. The games emphasis on exploration and puzzle solving is what made it so great. Each game had a brilliant interface, layout, battle system, and look that set themselves out from other series/mimics of the same genre. Shigeru Miyamoto is famed for his odd presentation and design (With the likes of Mario Bros) and Zelda brought that charm to the series with rememorable characters, enemies locales and dungeons. The game originally started out as a top down game and for the time it was released it was considered a huge game. (Hardware limitations made it hard to make games big at times). They were brilliantly done with instant classics being produced for each console.

With the release of the N64 came the series 3D gameplay and graphics were implemented, the first game being "The Ocarina of Time" the game blew gamers away with a gorgeous variety of level design, weaponary, scale, and audio/visual effects. As with Mario 64 it was the sense of scale and interactivity that made it stand out, evolving the system of the old games to keep it up to scratch with todays games. This was shortly followed after Majoras mask which used the same engine and came close to being just as good as OOT, despite the shorter development time it was give. A great series that looks set to change yet again with the new gameplay of Zelda:TP.

Media/Screens

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Ajinryu; 11 Jul 2005 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajinryu
    But also we can't forget other developers
    If it wasn't for your section on Mega Man, your initial post did.

Can't wait to see threads like this to show up for the next 5 years when everyone gleefully repays for the games to download onto the Revolution.

3. In anticipation of Twilight Princess (and to take a break from shooters and Metroid), I recently started new files on Zelda NES and Ocarina of Time.

4. You know, I really don't want to "remember" those good ol' games from yester year. Yes, Nintendo brought us some awesome shit back in the day. These days, they are in dead last in the console race and whore out their main franchise (who I couldn't give two shits about) to every sport game, kart racer and dancing game known to man.

Personally, I want to see an Xbox Appreciation thread talking about how Nintendo needed a swift kick in the ass to see it has slipped off the face of the Earth.

5. Quote Originally Posted by FM Nick
    You know, I really don't want to "remember" those good ol' games from yester year. Yes, Nintendo brought us some awesome shit back in the day. These days, they are in dead last in the console race and whore out their main franchise (who I couldn't give two shits about) to every sport game, kart racer and dancing game known to man.

Personally, I want to see an Xbox Appreciation thread talking about how Nintendo needed a swift kick in the ass to see it has slipped off the face of the Earth.
    Well hey, thanks for wasting our time then.

Mario DDR, Mario Baseball, ect...yes bad.

Otherwise they still make great games, that's all I care about. Go start an XBox thread and talk about all the zillions of things they are doing right for you as a satisfied XBox owner.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 11 Jul 2005 at 09:57 PM.

6. One of the few beat-em-ups worth their price. I dug the soundtrack, evolving move-set and interactivity of the environments.

Too freaking hard, but I enjoyed the exploration.

The first "scary" game I was exposed to. Awesome soundtrack too.

I only got to borrow it a few times, but the depth blew me away.

Best sports game I've ever played.

Megaman X was a big deal for me. Capcom did a very good job of evolving the gameplay.

A fun launch title. I loved the large sprites, and remember calling the backgrounds "3D".

I rented this many times. Like Double Dragon on the NES, very involving for a game of this type.

Playing this on your own system was so cool!

The best platformer not named Mario

7. I loved Kings of the Beach! Still remeber the guy's names too : )

8. Remember the first time you saw parallax scrolling in SMW or Sonic?

Or the sweet fog and transparency effects in the SMW ghost houses? Gravy.

9. I remember back with Mario Kart, I would beat my brother's ass in that game everytime, so he would get pissed, pull the game out, and run off, rambling about how it was 'his game and I'm cheating'. Ahhh, the good times. Oh seems you forgot one good game...

10. Quote Originally Posted by FM Nick
    The Xbox had nothing to do with that.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."