Page 1 of 18 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista Thread

1. Windows Vista Thread

Post stories about how shitty Longhorn sounds here!

IT: Longhorn to Require Monitor-Based DRM
    Microsoft
    Posted by Zonk on Friday July 15, @11:24AM
    from the it's-everywhere-it's-everywhere dept.
    Mr_Silver writes "Engadget has an interesting article regarding a new feature in Longhorn entitled PVP-OPM (Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management) which detects the capabilities of the display devices you are using and manages how (and if at all) content is sent to it. In short, this means that if Longhorn detects that your monitor is not "secure" enough, then your premium video content won't play on it until you buy one that is. Who gets to decide? The content providers of course." From the article: "So what will happen when you try to play premium content on your incompatible monitor? If you're "lucky", the content will go through a resolution constrictor. The purpose of this constrictor is to down-sample high-resolution content to below a certain number of pixels. The newly down-sampled content is then blown back up to match the resolution of your monitor. This is much like when you shrink a JPEG and then zoom into it. Much of the clarity is lost. The result is a picture far fuzzier than it need be."

( Read More... | 272 of 329 comments | it.slashdot.org )
    Really not too sure what all of that means, but it doesn't sound good.

The thing I'm looking most forward to with Longhorn is the ability to use the xbox 360 controller with it.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. I've not been paying attention. But if Longhorn kills COM dead, then I'm all for it.

4. Ive been running XP for years, and I can count the number of non-hardware failure crashes I have ever had one freaking hand. I see little point of any upgrades outside of the move to a fully 64 bit library.

throwing all that DRM shit in, just makes me want to stay with XP
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

5. This isn't going to happen, if you need a fucking "whql certified" monitor for playback of drm material this shit ain't gonna fly and microsoft will lose a lot in software sales. Good thing everything that makes longhorn worthwhile is being backported to XP.

6. Longhorn will never come out. People ahve been talking about it for 4 years or more.

OK, so it will come out. But still, the thing was supposed to be out a long time ago.

7. Nobody really needs it. MS is just looking at another way to rake in the $$$ and support licensing rights.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

I'll continue running my bootleg copy of XP pro.

9. The ironic thing about all the DRM stuff is that, once again, the bootleg will give the user fewer hassles than real content, giving people another reason to pirate.

10. Or like myself who through work gets the corporate version for free and doesnt have to deal with all the b.s.