Thread: Virtual reality arcade game

1. Virtual reality arcade game

I remember back when I was younger about the age of 9 seeing a Virtual Reality arcade game setup in the back of the millitary base mall (my father was in the navy). I watched guys put on a pair of gloves, boots, and a full head set. They then would stand on about a 7 x 7 platform and were handed guns.

The game played like a FPS only you were actually walking, pointing and shooting the gun at the enemy "the other guy". The level designs were similair to some counter strike stages but they looked very basic like " mostly blocky shapes etc to hide behind" Graphics like the virtual reality in the movie the "Lawn mower man".

There was a big screen TV setup so people could view the match.

Does anyone else remember this game or had any similair experience playing something like this?
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

2. I remember something similar, just with a bazooka or some similar shoulder weapon. It was in Sega World in the UK in the 90's.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

3. The MGM Grand arcade used to have a sit-down FPS VR helmet game for a ridiculous price. I tried it and wanted so much to "believe" but I knew it was crap.

Closest thing to VR for me was GunBlade N.Y. by Sega. I don't know if it would still work today, but at times the game "tricked" me into believing I was flying.

4. I played a crappy VR game over a decade ago at Magic Mountain. I think me and a friend were given 5 minutes to drive around a starfox quality 3D environment while trying to crash into a ball for some reason. =\

5. “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

6. I played a virtual reality version of Rise of the Triad at the top of the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas. They gave you a helmet, gloves, and you stood in the middle of a platform that looked exactly like this:

Playing it though was an absolute mess, turning was handled by your head movement, so if you turned your head, the player turned. The problem was, because of the helmet, you couldn't see where the cord to the gun was, so when you needed to do a 180, and you turned your whole body, you ended up getting tangled in the cord
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

7. Saw something about what you are describing on "The Phil Donahue show" like 10 years ago. Phil played the creator at the game, it was cool that it existed, but the game looked really uninteresting. Plus it had Phil fumbling trying to use the thing, thats always good because Donahue is a madman. "It, is, amazingtoseesomethinglikethis. I......canttellyouhowamazing it, all, is....people!" I miss his show.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!