Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some speaker help.

1. Need some speaker help.

Looking to add some sound to my setup (anything is better than the TV speakers) but can't splurge on surround at this time. I have my DVR, 360 and ps3 all hooked to my 46" Sammy via HDMI. I was looking at these http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr.../5703&cl=us,en since they have dent box packages pretty cheap. How would I get sound out of all three devices? Use the audio out from my TV?

2. The link isn't working for me. So I can't really comment on them specifically. That said though most the logitech shit sucks. You're better off slowly building up a real audio system, instead of blowing money on them IMHO. There's deals to be had out there if you know where to look. You don't need to blow a grand to have good sound. It all depends on what you want out of it.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?...il=1&ext_war=1

sign up for the free "club onkyo" and get a refurb one of these for less than $170. Much, much better.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

4. if you can't do up a real 5.1 setup via receiver than i wouldn't bother with any of this. it will be a headache to connect multiple systems and the sound won't be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

5. The optical out on most TVs only outputs stereo on everything but the internal tuner (and by most tvs I mean every one that I am aware of). You won't get surround out through the tv with a blu ray player.

Give us a budget. I'll see what I can come up with.
    Last edited by stormy; 10 Apr 2009 at 01:18 AM.

6. I'm looking to purchase my first receiver this weekend so I've been trying to do some research but wanted to see if any one could add some input.

Right now, I think this might be my first choice since my budget is $350
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...=1218065494188

Here is my current speaker situation that I have hooked up to an old school Samsung Home Theater System
    Center
    Bookshelf speakers

Also, is worth upgrading speaker wire to higher end stuff??
    Last edited by Hot Like Wasabi; 18 Feb 2010 at 06:24 PM.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

7. Get an HK refurb through ebay. You can get a 254 for around $200 if you watch the auctions. For speaker wire don't spend a lot, almost any cheapo 12 gauge will do. Using banana plugs is also helpful, but not necessary.

8. I recently acquired a subwoofer and some speakers to bring my set up into the 80s. Anyway, the woofer has an L/R input and an L/R output on the back. My receiver, which is a different brand, has an RCA out for the sub.

Confusion. Am I boned or can this be worked around.

9. I think what you're supposed to do is hook the sub up to the L and R speaker terminals of the receiver and then hook the speakers to the output of the sub. That must be an old sub though if it doesn't have the RCA line in.

edit - wait i might be wrong, is it L and R RCA lines or speaker wire inputs? If it's L and R RCA you are fine running the receiver line out to one of them.
    Last edited by stormy; 25 Feb 2010 at 01:14 AM.