Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Major game series' that you can't get into

1. Major game series' that you can't get into

Halo: Haven't played either one on X-Box. Played the PC demo for 10 minutes and disliked it. I played lots of Jedi Knight and BF1942 online, but FPS games in single player don't do it for me, especially with a controller.

Metroid: I like my games more fruity than not. Very rarely does something with a gloomy, dark atmosphere interest me. It didn't help that I read about escaping within a time limit after beating Mother Brain. I hate that kind of pressure. A few years ago I tried the NES rom and enjoyed it. I'll have to give the 2D games a fair chance in the future.

Gran Turismo: The only thing I care about in the world of cars is leg room. I've played the demos for 1 and 3 and found the racing boring compared to Sega Rally, Mario Kart and many others.

Soul Calibur series: I'm only into 3D fighters casually. I really liked Soul Blade and Soul Calibur had some great extras, but I never figured out what made it the "best fighter ever," especially since I hardly heard praise for it when it was an ugly system-12 game for a year and a half before.

Grand Theft Auto: Jack of all trades, master of none. What the games attempt to do is very impressive, but there's so much crap and frustration to deal with.

I'm sure I'm missing some...
    Last edited by Mikazuki; 21 Jul 2005 at 10:14 PM.

2. I have trouble getting into most games with branching paths. I often get too obsessed with seeing every single thing the game has to offer, it freaks me out and I just lose interest. If I can play a game one time through and see everything that it has to offer, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I think I need to learn to live with one playthrough and not seeing everything...

I know I didn't name series. Sorry.

3. GTA: DMA has been rehashing the same concept (albeit a great one) for almost a decade, and I can't get past the mediocrity of the controls and graphics.

Metroid Prime: The control just puts me off entirely.

Sly Cooper: I'm allergic to anthropomorphic animal mascots.

Ratchet and Clank: see above

4. Tony Hawk series: I am simply not into the whole extreme sports/skateboarder/slacker sports stuff. I think the TH series is quality for sure but I could never get into them.

Tekken series: I hate the characters and for some reason the game never felt right to me. I'm not a big fan of 3D fighters anyways though I enjoyed Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (though I suck at it big time).

Ridge Racer series: I always found each "Ridge" game to be too simplistic and I think they offer little lasting gameplay. I remember how beloved the first one for PSX was with its one track..I was bored to tears in 30 minutes. Understand though that I enjoy sim elements in my racing games unless its a futuristic racer like Wipeout.

Japanese RPG with random battles..which I guess is all of them: I used to love japanese rpg's when I was a console-only gamer but once I started pc gaming and experienced the Ultima and Elder Scroll series, Planescape: Torment and Gothic 1/2 I just cannot get into console/anime inspired rpg's. I also think random battles is so 1980's. I cannot believe games still have them in this day and age.

Any MMORPG: I dunno.. I just could never get into them nor do I have the time or patience to develop characters in them. I also refuse to pay monthly fees anyways.

5. Erm, Soul Edge looked great back in the day, and the game was one of the highest praised 3D fighters on PSX.

Anyway, for me its virtually any fighting game series. I suck at them, but whatever. I had fun with Mortal Kombat.

Also, Shenmue. The first game was boring, awkward, and amateurish. The second game was... boring, awkward, and amateurish. But it was also absorbing and interesting. Never finished it though.

I also never got into Crazy Taxi. I used to watch people play the demo game at EB, it looked like so much fun and I couldnt wait to play. Then I did, and I was bored after 30 seconds. Then one day I rented Crazy Taxi 3, one of the worst games ever.

I never thought any of Sega's racing games were any good. Actually, they were mostly rubbish. I actually did buy Daytona USA for Dreamcast, one of the worst games ever. But barring even that I never thought the arcade games were that good, either. SF Rush 2049 was way more fun and interesting.

6. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    SF Rush 2049 was way more fun and interesting.
    IBTN.

I could never get into Gran Turismo, but I hate sim racing.

I could never get into Final Fantasy, but I generally don't like Japanese RPGs.

I could never get into Project Gotham Racing. It just wasn't fun to me.

I've also never been a huge fan of "sandbox" games.
    Last edited by elfneedsfood; 21 Jul 2005 at 10:36 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    I never thought any of Sega's racing games were any good. Actually, they were mostly rubbish. I actually did buy Daytona USA for Dreamcast, one of the worst games ever. But barring even that I never thought the arcade games were that good, either. SF Rush 2049 was way more fun and interesting.

I totally agree with you about Sega's racing games. I had Sega Rally, Sega Rally 2, OutRun, OutRun2, Daytona Saturn, and Daytona Dreamcast. Some of them are OK, but I just cant get into them. Still cant figure out why anybody loved Outrun 2. Its ASS! Daytona on DC was pretty cool online since it was the first online racing game I played, until you got BOOTED AFTER A FUCKING LAP!

So I guess a Major games series would basically be almost everything Sega's made. I've gotten burned so many times by Sega. Assholes!
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

8. Halo just never interested me.

Punch Out: Hate that game

KotoR: I didn't like the branching story thing and to be honest I'm fucking sick of star wars.

Tony Hawk: It weas fun for a while, but now it's boring.

Fighting genre as a whole. Besides Soul Calibur and SMB:Melee I didn't find any fighting game fun this gen

9. I could never get into the Gran Turismo games, the first one was just so devoid of actual racing fun, it was impossible. Later installments didn't help. I can't get into the Devil May Cry series all that much, or the newer Soul Calibur games. I loved Soul Blade, but SC and SC II did nothing for me. The Resident Evil and Onimusha games were impossible for me to enjoy, due to the controls. I haven't played RE 4 yet, but I hope that ends the streak. The Metal Gear Solid series hasn't been fun for me. The sterile, metallic look of most enivronments kills it for me, and the slow pace doesn't help. I haven't play MGS 3, which I'm hoping ends that.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 21 Jul 2005 at 11:28 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

GTA: For the same reasons already mentioned, plus I just really don't have fun with the whole 'thug-simulator' thing.
    Silent Hill: Don't know why.
    Tekken: because it's ass.
    Tony Hawk: I guess its just too mundane for me.
    MvC2: Because of the soundtrack.
    GigaWing and Layer Section series: part of the beauty of a shmup is simplicity or something. Just not fun.
    Resident Evil:didn't like it until REmake. Now I'm hooked.
    MGS: the dumbass bathroom humor almost breaks the game for me.
    Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six: cause they're boring and unimaginative in every way. The same goes for all the others of their vile ilk.
    RTS's: I actually like them, I'm just simply am not worth a shit at them.
    The 'Tales' games: I tried, I really did but all I get are beautiful looking games with a chaotic battle system, every overused cliche in the story, and nothing endearing.
    Last edited by Vasteel; 21 Jul 2005 at 11:14 PM.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...