Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Slayers Appreciation Thread!

1. The Slayers Appreciation Thread!

Having just received my $20 Slayers Try boxset in the mail today, I thought it just to start a thread about the sheer awesomeness of the great-grandaddy of the "band of adventurers has wacky adventures" anime cliche. The Slayers is 78 episodes, a billion OVAs and movies, and a gagillion novels, graphic and otherwise, of pure, spell-casting retardation. The story is simple, too: Lina is an awesome sorceress for no reason and kills everything. Regardless, I've never been able to stop watching this damn show. Ever.
    ..and now, with Try, the final piece of the puzzle is in place! Hahah!
    Oh, and, by the by, Funimation now has the rights to the Slayers TV show. Soon enough, they'll release boxsets of each of the show's seasons with remastered... everything. That, and they're trying to get Crispin Freeman to replace Zelgadis' original voice actor so that the voice fits with the rest of the series. Regardless, everything else should be exactly the same, down to the dub. Some supposedly cut scenes are back in, too.
    What a great time to be a Slayers fan...

2. My favorite part of Slayers was watching a movie in Japanese with the English script subtitles so that I could see as literally paragraphs of exposition constantly scrolled by... even though no one was talking. A phenomemon to grace so many titles and also made it impossible to watch Avalon. God I hate it when they dumb down scripts in translation like that, especially since none of them are ever convoluted enough to warrant such.

In any case, I've never really seen much Slayers. Seemed alright but I don't think it's worth trying to fit another huge series into my watching backlog.

3. Watching Slayers is like a reading the workings of a fantasy world. Every time Gourry doesn't understand something, someone explains some part of the world they live in, from gods to demons to magic to lands to people, etc.

I especially liked Xellos.

I've always liked naga the best.

I watched the first two movies. Quirky at best but nothing to write home about.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

6. I don't understand why people say the movies are better than the show. Naga annoys the everliving shit out of me, and the plots for the movies move WAY too quickly. The TV series gives plenty of room for madcap stupidity.

But she has huge japanime boobers.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

8. Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor
    But she has huge japanime boobers.
    She was invented as a sort of foil for Lina, who's always getting picked on for being flat chested. I don't know WHY they just invented Naga for the movies, but eh.

I've seen a few episodes here and there, and while the animation hasn't held up as nicely, it's pretty cool to watch the anime that started pretty much every fantasy anime cliche.

9. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword
    She was invented as a sort of foil for Lina, who's always getting picked on for being flat chested. I don't know WHY they just invented Naga for the movies, but eh.
    She's also hinted as being Amelia's sister, the runaway princess of Seiyruun, a few times.

...but, in the end, nobody cared. Ah, well.

10. Seen about eight episodes of the first season. I love the sense of humor and Zelgadis is an instant favorite. I'll finish it and maybe move onto the sequels. Are the next couple seasons as good or better?
    "When angels are forced out of heaven they become devils." -- Viciouis