Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm sick of the onslaught of comic book movies

1. I'm sick of the onslaught of comic book movies

No need to put the "shitty" qualifier in there.

Scourge disappointed me by making his thread about horror films and not about this, so here I am, wondering when these films are going to stop being made. I don't have a fancy list of movies coming up but I'm sure there's a bunch. One need look no further than the Fantastic Four movie: a film made to do the special effects for Mr. Fantastic. Lame.

They should have left well enough alone with Spiderman.

Oh yeah, Batman is the exception.

2. You might be tired of them, but I hope for a lot more. They are just starting to get really good now that the use of CG can accomplish the FX. Super-Hero flicks are among my favorites. Even though there will continue to be better ones and stinkers, I'll take what I can get.

Superman I and II were nearly as exciting as Star Wars back in the day. Batman and to a degree Batman Returns were decent efforts. But then we got Batman & Robin, PUnisher, the failed FF movie from the 90's, a decent but flawed TV Flash and a crappy Captain America film.

Flash forward to the year X-Men came out. That turned the tide, and Spider-man showed how to really do a fun and cool movie. Their sequels were even better. Despite the oft-mentioned flaws, I liked Hulk and FF for what they were. Batman Begins was truly an exceptional effort to break off from the goofiness yet still have an engaging film, and I hope more movies follow.

I liked Fantastic Four. It is basically a comedy with a bit of action thrown in. It was not a great film I admit, but it covered the goofier side of comics movies, to contrast the ultra-serious Batman Begins.

Anyway, I would hope that Hulk 2 is what X-men2 was to X-men (more fun, more of everything and some real caring about the characters). I hope X-men3 isn't ruined although it doesn't look good without Singer. I expect the Ghost Rider flick to be worse that FF. The next BIG film will be Superman Returns and based on the comic-con footage of last weekend, and the reports, it looks fantastic. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. -- "Man Thing" -- you can rent it , it went straight to DVD. Anyone see it yet? How bad is it?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman
    P.S. -- "Man Thing" -- you can rent it , it went straight to DVD. Anyone see it yet? How bad is it?
    Havent seen it yet. Defintely have to pick it up for the laugh factor,though. It looks horrendous.

And I dont really think that there are on ONsLaUghT!1 of shitty comic movies - just 2 came out this summer/year right? Batman and FF. One was awesome the other was kind of average.

Theres no where even near the amount of shitty comic movies coming out this year like their are lame romantic comedies and horror films though.

4. V for Vendetta looks quite good, despite Alan Moore disowning it.

I think it needs to be said that comics in general these days are more intelligent than hollywood movies - things like Constantine, From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and even Daredevil were absolutely lobotomized on their way to the big screen. Blame bad scriptwriters and movie studios who think you're too stupid to handle the original plots and try to dumb everything down to a Michael Bay level.

Heck, they even wrecked Fantastic Four, and that was simplistic tripe to begin with. My hopes for Watchmen aren't high.
    -Kyo

5. all i have to say is that if you're a fan of the x-men, fear the 3rd movie as Brett Ratner is making sure that it bombs, and bombs hard.
    XBL Gamertag = XMrWhitefolksX

6. I hate Brett Ratner. Why? Put in the Rush Hour DVD and check out his student "film" that he got Steven Spielberg to cut him a check for like 15 grand. It is HORRENDOUS. I have no idea how he got any further than that pile.

7. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    My hopes for Watchmen aren't high.
    You don't have to worry about Watchmen, considering production was cancelled awhile back.

8. I want to see stuff like echo, neon cyber, darkminds and warlands become movies. Too bad they ain't nearly half as popular to warrent any interest.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    No need to put the "shitty" qualifier in there.

Scourge disappointed me by making his thread about horror films and not about this, so here I am, wondering when these films are going to stop being made. I don't have a fancy list of movies coming up but I'm sure there's a bunch. One need look no further than the Fantastic Four movie: a film made to do the special effects for Mr. Fantastic. Lame.

They should have left well enough alone with Spiderman.

Oh yeah, Batman is the exception.
    The problem isn't simply that they are superhero movies, but that they're bad movies involving superheroes. Fantastic Four wasn't shit because the characters were super, Fantastic Four was a shit movie because a couple of the actors and the direction were all shit, and because they completely ruined the villain. The Incredibles, Spiderman (1, but moreso 2), X-Men 1 & 2, and Batman are all fine movies.

Atleast Scourge's thread had a list of movies that appeared to be, or he interpretted as being, cookie cutter horror movies.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 23 Jul 2005 at 10:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. I think these movies would be better if both marvel and dc took a harder stance to hollywood on the way their properties are being directed. As with every film made, they always have to involve it's origin, some major villian getting offed and a script that contridicts everything most of the fanbase has already come to know as canon.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"