Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I'm sick of the onslaught of comic book movies

1. The Netflix Marvel stuff has been okay, and I actually really liked Legion, but the other TV series aren't worth the time.
    Some of the DC animated stuff is worth checking out.

2. Marvel has become mid 2000s EA, happily glutting the market with mediocre product because it can produce it cheap enough that middling interest can make it profitable.

3. I don’t feel that way. Though they are definitely glutting the market, the non-team up Marvel movies (so Age of Ultron and Civil War) have been consistently good with very clever set pieces.

- Groot dancing in the opening of GotG 2
    - Rocket vs. All the Ravagers in GotG 2
    - Hella OP Yondu killing like 120 guys in GotG 2
    - Star-Lord dancing in the opening of GotG
    - The entire prison escape sequence in GotG 1 including Rocket leg gag
    - The end sequence of GotG where Groot dies
    - Ant-Man’s tiny fisheye lens mode when he goes tiny
    - Ant-Man’s buddy talking through heist details in rapid fire succession but with rambling, overly superfluous details
    - The infinite small at the end of Ant-Man
    - The entire little/big fight scene at the end of that movie
    - Dr. Strange’s mind opening celestial trip
    - Pretty much anything in the mirror world
    - The time puzzle ending to beating Dormamu (though I’m told this was a Dr. Who idea they redid)
    - Spider-Man unlocking his suits advanced mode and not knowing how to use any of the new tech
    - Spider-Man having to think his way out of the secure Avengers facility
    - Any of the heists involving The Vulture.
    - Jeff Goldblum being allowed to ham it up when he receives Thor in Ragmarok, Including his hilarious blob stick-happy body guard.
    - Bruce Banner Free jumping out of the space ship at the end of the movie and splatting all over the bifrost bridge
    - Hela’s final fight sequence in Thor Ragnarok

The movies have been taking creative leaps since GotG was released. The original Avengers was terrific from beginning to end. Before Marvel took over far too often Hollywood would take some weird twist or perversion with beloved characters that no one asked for.

IMO Marvel has been hitting a ton of homers here.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 17 Dec 2017 at 11:09 AM.

4. Those are all great examples Drew.
    Too bad that if you followed the conversation, you'd see we were talking about the TV product.

The line "...it can produce it cheap enough that middling interest can make it profitable." should've indicated I was not referring to the incredibly expensive and extremely popular movies.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 17 Dec 2017 at 11:19 AM.

5. Yeah the TV shows are all trash. The Netflix ones are the closest to hits I can see. But network television is full of Hollywood politics and rote creative decision making. Most projects there are doomed to formulaic mediocrity.