Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Random video-game selector software

  1. Random video-game selector software

    I always wanted an application that could choose a random video game for me to play. I own several 100's games, but can't be bothered to flick through the endless cd-roms and cartridges in my storage, as I usually loose my gaming urge in the search process. I guess I just wish there was this sort of application; where I could select a group of systems I own, possibly a genre, (or which I could play through an emulator) and then click the 'random' button. I have wished for something like this for several years, actually.

    Flame away or let me know if something like this exists.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

  2. I don't think anything like that exists, but here's what I would do: Make a spreadsheet of all your games. Group them by system (no empty rows in between), and assign each game a number within their respective system (make that column A for easy reference). Go to random.org and plug in the total number of games you have (use the row numbers on the left in your program), or total number of games the system has, and get your number. Find it on the spreadsheet and play it. If you wanted to group them by genre (if, say, you're only in the mood for playing fighters), I'd do a separate spreadsheet for that.

  3. You could also write a macro in Excel to select something for you.

  4. Write the names of all your games on pieces of paper and put them in a hat.
    -Kyo

  5. Close your eyes and point.

  6. Perhaps Excel/spreadsheet is the way to start... If only online game-databases like klov, gamefaqs and mobygames had a random function... I'd hate to type in all my games

    While browsing around I came across this website: http://www.uvlist.com/ - "UVL is the biggest on-line database about almost any video game ever created, for any platform. Right now UVL has 44018 games and 124 gaming platforms in the database."

    Not bad! - Seems like I just need to convince them to add a random function...
    Last edited by dakidski; 23 Jul 2005 at 08:54 PM.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

  7. Adding a function to pull a random game from a list of 44,000 games wont be of much use to you - you'd have to hit the button several dozen times on average before it hits one you own.

    Of course, you can use IGN or 1up to build your collection, and then copy that to a spreadsheet, then write a macro.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Adding a function to pull a random game from a list of 44,000 games wont be of much use to you - you'd have to hit the button several dozen times on average before it hits one you own.
    DUH! You got me.. Still clicking several times seems alot easier than rummaging through cabinets and storage boxes, and if the game is emulated, I might not even have to leave the chair!

    Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Of course, you can use IGN or 1up to build your collection, and then copy that to a spreadsheet, then write a macro.
    Build my collection? How do you mean?
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

  9. Quote Originally Posted by dakidski
    Build my collection? How do you mean?
    http://users.ign.com/collection/j-joshers?objType=1

  10. Quote Originally Posted by dakidski
    I always wanted an application that could choose a random video game for me to play. I own several 100's games, but can't be bothered to flick through the endless cd-roms and cartridges in my storage, as I usually loose my gaming urge in the search process. I guess I just wish there was this sort of application; where I could select a group of systems I own, possibly a genre, (or which I could play through an emulator) and then click the 'random' button. I have wished for something like this for several years, actually.

    Flame away or let me know if something like this exists.

    Well , there's this crazy emulator called Mame that has a "select random game" feature. You can even select a genre and do a random search within the genre.

    After several years, your dreams have finally become reality!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Games.com logo