Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Mac should i get?

1. Question Which Mac should i get?

my bro is buying a new PC and is thinking of buying a MAC instead of the super outdated DELL he has. now the thing is, he doesnt know much about PC, only does the usuall web-surfing, listening to music, ipod sync, simple photo editing and the ocational learning french through the PC.

I honestly dont know much about MACs apart from what i read and see on the net. the mini mac is very cute, but the problem is it's very short in terms of expandability(does it have build in wifi?), how about the G5 with one of those ultra amazing widescreens? how do both cost, and which ones do you guys recommend?

he's not into PC gaming at ALL so that's no problem. but what about applications such as windows media player and such? he's got tons of WMA files on his current PC. would the MAC be able to run them? and how easy is it to use a MAC compared to PC(i keep hearing it's much friendlier and easier) and last but not least, what's all the hype about OS Tiger?

and what specification is recommended? he needs the following, wifi, bluetooth, USB(or does MAC use firewire only?), memory card slots.....and so on.

your input is highly appreciated, thanks!

edit: which is better, Safari or Camino web browser?

Marwan,

2. If he's big into Windows Media Player, he needs to stick with PC. Microsoft intentionally keeps the Mac about 2 years behind the PC on that app.

I say wait a bit till the new Intel ones come out.

Anytime now...
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

Buy the one that can play Half Life 2.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    Buy the one that can play Half Life 2.
    OHSNAP

6. Revolter, those won't start production until mid-next year most likely.

And Half-Life 2 sucks anyways.

There are much more qualified people to talk Mac's around here than myself, but if price is an issue he may want to look into just getting an ibook. Although it really won't be able to play games it has all the features he'd be looking for. Also, no Mac's come with memory slots. He'd have to buy a little USB card dealie.

Oh, and I'd totally say Safari.
    Play Guitar Hero //

7. He doesn't need a G5 for what he wants to do. G5's are powerhouses and it's wasted money to purchase one only to use it surfing the web. I would recommend an iBook like Sl1p has because they're affordable, and allow you to surf the web easily. Mac's are THE BEST medium for surfing because nobody writes viruses for them, and ipod with itunes is easier to use.

Also, if you're in to gaming don't buy a Mac. Mac has made some small strides in getting gaming on their systems (World of Warcraft) but the PC is so much better for it.

Getting a G5 to surf the web and check e-mail is liking killing a fly with a bazooka.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    Mac has made some small strides in getting gaming on their systems (World of Warcraft) but the PC is so much better for it.
    Wow. You might as well has just slapped Blizzard in the face.

9. Why? I was complimenting them on making their big game compatible with two platforms. But one or two games from Blizzard isn't a big stride, it's a good (small) start.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    Why? I was complimenting them on making their big game compatible with two platforms. But one or two games from Blizzard isn't a big stride, it's a good (small) start.
    ALL BLIZZARD GAMES ARE BOTH PC AND MAC, AND APPLE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.