Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 films you should see by the age of 14

50 films you should see by the age of 14

Here are the 50 films a panel of experts says children should see by the time they are 14:

THE 10 CHOSEN BY THE BFI

1. Spirited Away (2001) - Animated Japanese film about gods and sorcerers

2. The Wizard of Oz (1939) - Musical classic

3. Les Quatre Cents Coups (1959) - French 12-year-old turns into a hellraiser

4. The Night of the Hunter (1955) - Robert Mitchum as a serial killer in America's Deep South

5. Where is My Friend's House? (1987) - One of Iranian director Kiarostami's earlier works

6. Show Me Love (1998) - Coming-of-age tale of two Swedish girls

7. Toy Story (1995) - Buzz Lightyear and Woody brought to life by computer animation

8. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - Steven Spielberg's sci-fi tearjerker

9. Bicycle Thieves (1948) - Italian film focusing on life after World War II

10. Kes (1969) - Gritty working class British drama

THE REMAINING 40

A Day at the Races (1937) - Marx Brothers comedy

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - Oscar-winning Sherwood Forest action

Au Revoir les Enfants (1987) - World War II drama set in French boarding school

Back to the Future (1985) - Michael J Fox's time-travelling adventure

Beauty and the Beast (1991) - Disney's musical masterpiece

La Belle et la Bete (1946) - French telling of Beauty and the Beast

Billy Elliot (2000) - Working class boy discovers a love of ballet

Edward Scissorhands (1990) - Romantic tale of an uncommonly gentle man

Etre et Avoir (2002) - Portrait of a French school staffed by one teacher

Finding Nemo (2003) - Underwater animation

It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - Frank Capra's uplifting family feature

Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - Greek hero and his adventures

The Kid (1921) - Charlie Chaplin as a tramp

King Kong (1933) - Giant ape thriller

Kirikou et la Sorciere (1998) - Animated African folk tale

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (1953) - French comedy about a holidaymaker who wreaks havoc

My Life as a Dog (1985) - Swedish boy abused by his family

My Neighbour Totoro (1988) - Japanese animation

Oliver Twist (1948) - Charles Dickens' classic

The Outsiders (1983) - Francis Ford Coppola crime drama

Pather Panchali (1955) - Indian story of survival for a boy in Bengal

Playtime (1967) - Jacques Tati in a French farce

The Princess Bride (1987) - Rob Reiner directed fantastical fairytale

Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) - Aboriginal epic

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Harrison Ford goes on a perilous quest

The Railway Children (1970) - Charming drama set in Edwardian England

The Red Balloon (1956) - French parable

Romeo & Juliet (1996) - Baz Luhrmann's modern take on Shakespeare's tragedy

The Secret Garden (1993) - Maggie Smith stars in the classic journey of discovery

Singin' in the Rain (1952) - Gene Kelly musical

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs(1937) - Classic animated fairytale

Some Like it Hot (1959) - Classic comedy with Marilyn Monroe and Tony Curtis

The Spirit of the Beehive (1973) - Tense drama set in post civil war Spain

Star Wars (1977) - George Lucas's sci-fi epic

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - Movie of the Pulitzer winning novel

Le Voyage dans la Lune (1902) - Vintage French space travel

Walkabout (1971) - Children stranded in the Australian outback

Whale Rider (2002) - New Zealand tale of love

Whistle Down the Wind (1961) - Hayley Mills finds Jesus on a farm

The White Balloon (1995) - Iranian tale

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1773
    I'm going to take a guess and say that the BFI stands for British Film Institute which leads me to believe this list might just be as useless as the AFI lists.

Anyway, I've seen about 18 out of that list and find the inclusion of Edward Scissorhands to be odd. I liked it but it sure as hell isn't a must see movie for a kid. Upon further study it just looks like the UK wants to grow an army of film snobs.

I swear if some snot-nosed 14 year old came up to me and told me some French movie was better than the typical Hollywood dribble I watch, I'd punch that kid in the fucking face.

EDIT: Info from the official BFI site

On 13 July 2005 the bfi and the Barbican jointly hosted a debate called Watch This! to discuss whether there should be a list of films that all children should see by the age of 14. Participants at the debate, as well as a number of children's film organisations across Europe and individuals including bfi staff, filmmakers and teachers, were invited to submit nominations. The following is an alphabetical list of the ten most recommended films for children to see:

Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio De Sica, 1948, Italy)
    ET The Extra-Terrestrial (Steven Spielberg, 1982, USA)
    Kes (Ken Loach, 1969, UK)
    The Night of the Hunter (Charles Laughton, 1955, USA)
    Les Quatre Cents Coups (François Truffaut, 1959, France)
    Show Me Love (Lukas Moodysson, 1998, Sw/Dk)
    Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001, Japan)
    Toy Story (John Lasseter, 1995, USA)
    Where is the Friend's House? (Abbas Kiarostami, 1987, Iran)
    The Wizard of Oz (Victor Fleming, 1939, USA)

While most public debate about children's film viewing focuses on protection rather than entitlement, the Watch This! debate showed how passionately people care about children's film heritage. We know that the films on the list aren't just there because people think they'd be good for children: they're films that people have shown to their own families or to pupils and they know how much children have enjoyed them.

Both the Top Ten and Top Fifty are surprising, thought-provoking lists and in no way final. Points of possible contention include the shortage of British films represented, the relative lack of cultural diversity and the preponderance of boys as central characters. We hope people will go on arguing about them so that the list can evolve. Comments and recommendations can be sent to bfi Education .

The list demonstrates just how diverse a range of classic and world cinema can be made available to children, and we hope that it will generate further action leading to more diverse and adventurous TV commissioning, DVD publishing, cinema distribution and programming.
    Last edited by Revoltor; 29 Jul 2005 at 06:04 AM.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

2. "Some Like it Hot" is on that list. That makes no sense. 5 seconds into that movie any human kid would be asking for Indiana Jones or Star Wars.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

3. I'm I the only one who didn't like Spirited Away?

Quote Originally Posted by Clash!
    "Some Like it Hot" is on that list. That makes no sense. 5 seconds into that movie any human kid would be asking for Indiana Jones or Star Wars.
    It's a really good movie though. A must see for kids? I don't know. There's a lot of innuendo and Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon are in drag half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BFI
    they're films that people have shown to their own families or to pupils and they know how much children have enjoyed them.
    I call bullshit. A better list would've been nothing but Disney and Spielberg produced movies.

Quote Originally Posted by avatar
    I'm I the only one who didn't like Spirited Away?
    I hated Princess Mononoke. Enough to stop watching japanime forever.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

5. Romeo & Juliet (1996) - Baz Luhrmann's modern take on Shakespeare's tragedy

guaah? Shouldn't kids get the real thing first?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor
    Upon further study it just looks like the UK wants to grow an army of film snobs.

I swear if some snot-nosed 14 year old came up to me and told me some French movie was better than the typical Hollywood dribble I watch, I'd punch that kid in the fucking face.
    Hahaha.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

7. Man and I thought our listmaking was bad.

No way kids would sit still for a lot of these movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor
    I hated Princess Mononoke. Enough to stop watching japanime forever.
    I never made it through, I fell asleep the two times I tried to watch it. Granted, there were full stomachs, late nights, and warm female bodies involved, but if the movie was so damn good it should've kept me awake despite it all.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

9. Miyazaki's movies do really tend to drag on. They're good, but most of them could do with a good 30 minutes+ shaved off.

10. I also fell asleep watching Mononoke. Its not you.

Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away, and My Neighbor Totoro are all brilliant, though.