Thread: Nintendo's Wifi "trailer"

1. Nintendo's Wifi "trailer"

Hmmm. I dunno what to make of this. I assume some here have seen it already. Part of me likes it and thinks it's a bit comparable to the classic Sega Genesis ads. The other part of me thinks it's a little too "arty" for its own good. I mean, Nintendo uses a short film of an exhausted, sweaty Afghan man to unwittingly promote online Mario Kart? Erm. OK.

And WHY must Nintendo insist on showing 1.0001 seconds of footage from their games and insist on squeezing DS and GBA footage into a tiny DS/GBA monitor on the screen?

The ad is made by ad firm Leo Burnett. If this is the same advertising firm who made the pathetic Metroid Prime Echoes TV ad, then I HATE them. A lot. But this is a slight improvement.

Now gimmie my online baloon battle and life will be complete.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/637/637723p1.html

2. dont you mean balloon fight?
    XBL Gamertag = XMrWhitefolksX

3. Quote Originally Posted by MrWhitefolks
    dont you mean balloon fight?
    Fight, battle. Whatevah.

All I know is Nintendo was quoted in the E3 EGM that MK DS "should" include online baloon battle mode. They darn well better. Just 4 player vs. online racing but with no online baloon battle would obviously be a terrible omission.

4. I've worked with Leo Burnett before (one of the biggest ad agencies in North America). They're disorganized with some materials, but overall they can come up with some good results. I can't judge the commercial because I haven't seen it yet, but those mushroom ads nintendo ran were great.

The "Too Much Fun" slogan, however, ruined the entire atmosphere that the commercial had built up around the brand. And guess what? I have 10 bucks that says Nintendo pushed to keep that stupid, corny slogan in the piece.

I just watched it... and it's fine. What's the big problem?

And WHY must Nintendo insist on showing 1.0001 seconds of footage from their games and insist on squeezing DS and GBA footage into a tiny DS/GBA monitor on the screen?
    It wasn't promoting Mario Kart, it was an awareness campaign about Nintendo's new WiFi connection ability with the DS.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 29 Jul 2005 at 09:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. I saw it at Wedding Crashers last night.
    I like how it looks like a movie trailer for a while and then at the end reveals itself to be a commercial. It was the only commercial I paid attention to just becuase I thought it was a movie trailer.Some people were murmuring about it, but in the end it was just another commercial.

Oh and the New Pepsi 1 commercials really suck.

6. I don't think he's talking about the game "Baloon Fight". I think he means the mode in Mario Kart where you bust each others baloons.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    I've worked with Leo Burnett before (one of the biggest ad agencies in North America). They're disorganized with some materials, but overall they can come up with some good results. I can't judge the commercial because I haven't seen it yet, but those mushroom ads nintendo ran were great.

The "Too Much Fun" slogan, however, ruined the entire atmosphere that the commercial had built up around the brand. And guess what? I have 10 bucks that says Nintendo pushed to keep that stupid, corny slogan in the piece.

I just watched it... and it's fine. What's the big problem?

It wasn't promoting Mario Kart, it was an awareness campaign about Nintendo's new WiFi connection ability with the DS.
    I rewatched it. I like it better. Thanks for the info btw, very interesting.

edit: However I still hate them for that Echoes commercial.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 30 Jul 2005 at 12:22 AM.

8. Wow, pretty weird, but preety bold.

Good job Nintendo.

Just don't give away too much right?
    "If you aren't a bit depressed, then you aren't paying attention to what's going on in the world - Get busy living or get busy dieing."