Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My XBOX just fried!

1. My XBOX just fried!

I've had my XBOX since it launched and I've never had any problems at all. Tonight I was playing Splinter Cell online and as a session ended the XBOX just froze and hung there. When I turned it off and turned it back on there was a grinding noise and the green light started to blink between green and red, then it was constantly red. A message then popped up and said the XBOX needed to be serviced.

I've heard of people having similar problems and I was wondering if there was a cheaper fix than just buying a new XBOX. I don't want to drop $150 on a new one with the XBOX 360 right around the corner. Any suggestions?

2. Play PS2 games for the next 3 months.
    -Kyo

3. It really depends on what is wrong with your Xbox. If it is just your DVD drive, you can easily get a new one on eBay for $60 or less. Installing it is as simple as opening up your box, and connecting the new drive up.

Any idea what kind of problem it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

4. No real idea at all. I got it to turn back on and it gets to the loading screen and keeps making the grinding noise and loads REALLY FUCKING SLOWLY. It got close to the end and gave me an error that the disc is dirty or damaged. The disc is in mint condition since I'm the only one who ever touches it.

Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    Play PS2 games for the next 3 months.
    I would if the PS2 wasn't a complete hunk of shit for online gaming.

5. If it can actually load up the game, and it gives you a dirty disc error, chances are it is your DVD drive. I recommend something along the lines of this.

Just make sure, DO NOT but a Thompson DVD drive for your Xbox. They are pieces of shit. Idealy you want to get a Samsung, but if you can't find one cheap enough, a Phillips drive is a perfectly good substitute. But like I said, if you can get your hands on a Samsung, go for it, they load faster, rip music faster, and are the best quality drives for your Xbox.
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe
    I've heard of people having similar problems and I was wondering if there was a cheaper fix than just buying a new XBOX. I don't want to drop $150 on a new one with the XBOX 360 right around the corner. Any suggestions?
    It looks like it's going to be down to Jed and I representing TNL in Splinter Cell online for the next couple of months.

But seriously, you may want to follow BrandX's advice and get the DVD drive replaced. However, if it's going to be too much trouble to fix it, I would suggest buying another Xbox even with the 360 right around the corner because you will still be using the Xbox in other ways, if you know what I mean.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

7. Quote Originally Posted by Cowdisease
    because you will still be using the Xbox in other ways, if you know what I mean.
    For serious, I'm keeping my Xbox forever!!
    Eat a bag of dicks.

8. Any suggestions?
    Kill yourself. Its all over.

9. I turned it on with the tray opened and I can't get it to go to the dashboard. I would assume under that senario it isn't the drive but who the fuck knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowdisease
    But seriously, you may want to follow BrandX's advice and get the DVD drive replaced. However, if it's going to be too much trouble to fix it, I would suggest buying another Xbox even with the 360 right around the corner because you will still be using the Xbox in other ways, if you know what I mean.
    That's the main reason I want to fix it. I had big plans for the BOX after the 360 came out.

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Kill yourself. Its all over.
    You have a pink dick in your avatar and you think it's over for me homo?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe
    I turned it on with the tray opened and I can't get it to go to the dashboard. I would assume under that senario it isn't the drive but who the fuck knows.
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like it's the DVD drive at all.

In this scenario you are pretty much fucked unless you want to send your Xbox away to Microsoft. You should most likely just go with buying a new Xbox, because buying a DVD drive when you don't know exactly that your drive is the problem wouldn't be a smart idea.
    Eat a bag of dicks.