Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stella

1. Stella

Anyone here seen Stella yet? Brilliant new sketch show starring Michael Showalter, Michael Ian Black (appears all the time on VH1 I love the 80s, 90s, ect) and David Wain (you know, the guys from the hilarious old MTV 90s comedy show The State, Stu you oughta know). It's hard to describe, they play themselves as 3 guys in suits who are friends who get into random, surreal misadventures. I think it's also based on a stage play they have done. Anyways, just go watch the videos at this link now, whoda thunk a sketch revolving 3 guys in suits skateboarding could be funny and innovative:

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/stella/index.jhtml

Stella features the comedic trio of Michael Ian Black, Michael Showalter and David Wain as three characters whose travels through everyday life are unlike anything else on television. With a perfect blend of cleverness and absurdity, Stella satirizes everyday experiences like finding an apartment, hanging out at a coffee shop, going camping and trying to meet women. What are common, normal situations for most people quickly end up in the most unexpected realms when these guys are at the helm.

Even though they're always dressed in suits, their maturity level doesn't always fit their attire. These modern day Marx Brothers spread their non-sensical comedy to everyone they meet and everywhere they go. Their sensibilities are tinged with both sarcasm and wit; the characters, and the show in general, find a way to be both smart and sophomoric.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 31 Jul 2005 at 12:55 AM.

2. I would not call it sketch comedy really because each episode is one story line, and not unrelated bits. Its really funny though.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Clash!
    I would not call it sketch comedy really because each episode is one story line, and not unrelated bits. Its really funny though.
    You're right.

I just saw my first episode and I have got to find someone to Tivo it for me. There used to also be a fan site that had tons of state videos but it's gone now. My fave State sketch was Michael Showalter as a sissy gang leader getting into a fight with nuns and Amish guys.

4. My brother got me into this while I was at home for a few weeks over the summer. He-fucking-larious.

I saw three episodes, one had something to do with fake mustaches, on had them running a political campaign and the other was about a coffie shop. They were all awesome.
    I knew he was a commie, cause he didn't drink [duff] beer.

5. I've been watching this since the start and I love it. "You said you wanted to listen to FUNK Rock, but instead lets listen to Funk ROCK.", fucking great shit. This is one of those shows that doesn't exactly make me LOL, but it always puts a smile on my face and makes me happy. This show is like a live action adult swim show, like tom goes to the mayor or something. It usually takes multiple viewings to get a lot of the jokes as well. I also love the music in this too, especially the ones in "coffee shop". I've been trying to get my friends to watch it, but they refuse.

So far my favorite episodes have been campaign and coffee shop. Have any of you guys seen the original Stella shorts? They're odd, some are really raunchy and they curse in them as well, not to mention constantly unzipping their pants to reveal black dildos hanging down, ass raping people, or giving head to chicks with dicks. Hit up bit torrent to see them, some are cool because the current show has little homages to the old skits. Speaking of bit torrent, it seems that this show is a huge hit on all the pirate sites, yet its not doing so hot in the ratings. I think it would be a safe bet to say that more people are watching this thing on their PCs then they are in front of a tv.

And as a random aside, when get older I want to dress like Michael Ian Black does in this, his suits always look sharp.

"Shut up AULD MAID, we'll make as much noise as we want!"

6. I've tried, but I just can't get into it. It just doesn't work for me, I really wanted to like it too.

7. I've seen a few episodes. Like Regus said, it's not filled with humor that makes you guffaw or anything, but it's a fun show and stands out nicely compared to the other stuff out there.

Also saw: Carlos Mencia's new show. I wish he wouldn't overexplain half of his jokes.

8. Mind of Mencia is awful.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

9. Everyone I know tells me I should be watching it. A few even claimed they don't even miss Dave Chappelle anymore.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."