Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with an HDTV, give me advice.

1. Anyone with an HDTV, give me advice.

I finally broke down and bought a Toshiba HD projection this week at Best Buy, and I need some advice. First, anyone use a component video switch? I want to have my cable box, PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube hooked up to component cables, but I'm short 2 component inputs. I was looking at the Pelican one, but I'm not sure, Gamespot says it has some signal loss.

Secondly, I'm thinking of hooking up my PC using DVI. I don't have DVI on the tv, but it does have HDMI and I can buy an adapter. Anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions/advice.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

2. I'm currently using the Pelican Pro one and it's kind of hard to say where it stands. There's a fuzz like signal interference that occurs on my PS2 and during certain Xbox menus, but not through the S-video nor when the Xbox is actually playing games. I'm not sure if that's from my cords or the selector, but I'll be switching around the cables in a couple days to test that out (plus I haven't really used my PS2 since I've gotten it so I can't say if that's a permanant effect on that system or was just something else). Everything that I've played both as normal Xbox games and in emulators has been perfect, so I'm really not sure what's causing that or where it comes from.

Otherwise it's been great so far, but when I get my GC cables and rearrange the hookups I'll let you know if I could rectify the situation. I'm also not sure how old the review you read was but the Pro now comes with a remote (most of the reviews online are of the first version that didn't).

3. The Pelican Pro is pretty good, but the cheap one is shit. Don't bother with it... you'll get a fuzzy, muted picture.

4. I have the Pelican Pro and have had no problems. I have my cable box and DVD player hooked up to the TV, but then my game systems are all through the system selector. I also have my PC hooked up through VGA, not DVI, so I can't help you there, but I do know that at VGA it's awesome, so it really can only get better. I haven't used a regular monitor since getting this TV (about a year now) and I got a wireless keyboard and mouse so I can do stuff from my couch (like right now).
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kano on the Phone
    I want to have my... Gamecube hooked up...
    lol.

6. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16878104202

i have the mad catz one on my tv atm.....it seems to have a more noticible sigal distortion with the ps2 over the xbox. blacks areant really black on the ps2 and theres some "fuzz" but the xbox is fine. if i had the extra cash id get the pelican.

or the jvc's but they only got 2 component inputs.
    http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...athId=3&page=3
    http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...athId=3&page=1

7. I bought the pelican pro the big one with 8 componet inputs, 3 fiber optic inputs, 3 ethernet inputs, 8 s-video and 8 stereo audio inputs the day they came out and I haven't had any picture quality issues or anything, I run my PS2, Gamecube, Xbox and DVD player through it, through componet and they all look sharp and great

as far as the cables I use all first party cables and no third party crap

now I do run it on a regular definition TV, I don't know if any problems are introduced when you go progressive scan, but i doubt it, If i remember right on the box it did say it was able to do HD signals (you need a stronger signal strength and some of the other componet switches out there wont work with a HD signal)
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. whats the deal with the "ethernet" inputs? is it like a router?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    whats the deal with the "ethernet" inputs? is it like a router?
    Yep. At least from what I know, as I haven't actually tried it out yet since our downstairs PC broke and there's nothing else besides the Xbox worth hooking up.

10. I was suprised to see you guys go for the Pelican stuff. I thought that Pelican controllers and other accessories looked shady. So there realy isnt any weird signal loss at all?
    *teh shoked*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I hear Balrog's moveset includes the Fried Chicken Right Cross, The Watermelon Wipeout Punch, and the Welfare Blaster.
    I SWEAR IF YOU BITCH ABOUT TWINSTICKS I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS