Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: (Even) More PS3 rumors.

1. (Even) More PS3 rumors.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=4433

PSM September Magazine reveals interesting PS3 Information

In the upcoming PSM magazine, there is a feature article about the PS3. They say they received some 'new' information from their development sources who wish to remain anonnymous! No more memory cards, HDD is not for games and more detailed in this article!

#1 No More Memory Cards

We've received a lot of letters asking about how PS2 will be backwards compatible with PS2 and the original Playstation if it doesn't have memory card slot. Well, we have an answer, and it's both good and bad. First, the bad news: All of those old memory cards you have won't be usable with PS3. Okay then, wha's the solution? Sony has actually decided to only use Memory Stick Duo cards(the same format PSP uses) for PS3 save data. However, if you play a PS1 or PS2 game on PS3, the system will treat the Memory Stick like it's a normal memory card. This is different from the PS2, which requires you to use a PS1 memory card for PS1 saves. What this means is that you won't be able to use any of your old saves if you play PS1/PS2 games on PS3(wonder if a DexDrive will work...). But there's an upshot to all this: Downloading and sharing saves via PC for all three Playstations and PSP(hint, hint) will be easy as pie.

#2 Peripherals Passed Up

PS3 won't have old style memory card slots, and we can confirm that it won't support PS1/PS2 peripherals that used the controller port. You will be able to play PS1/PS2 games just fine using the new PS3 controller (bizarre as it looks), but things such as dance pads and third-party controllers won't be officially supported. Of course, it's highly likely some PS2-to-USB adaptor will be made(there's already one for the PC) allowing for such a thing. The question, then, is when.

#3 The Specs Aren't Set

Sony revealed some impressive PS3 tech specs at E3, but they apparently weren't set in stone. Developers have begun to tell us about actual improvements being made to the system's specifications, including more system memory and other low-level upgrades that we won't physically notice, but are making the people producing the games simply giddy.

#4 The HDD Won't Be For Games

There were plenty of moans heard when Sony started talking about an add-on hard disk drive for th PS3. We all know how well the PS2 HDD did. Still, there will be a micro HDD released for PS3 at some point in time. The first capacity being pitched is 80 gigabytes, but developers are being told it won't be for use with games. Instead, Sony is planning to use it as pure storage; you'll do things like put downloaded movies on it, copy MP3s to it, and store your digital photos on it. Then, using the PS3's network hub capability, be able to watch/listen to it all on any capable device hooked up to your home network, like a PC, PSP or even another PS3.

#5 The PSP As A Remote

A lot of folks were left scratching their heads after Sony talked about using the PSP as a emote for the PS3. Well, here's how it works at present: Even if your PS3 is in sleep mode, you will be able to access it via a PSP using Wi-Fi. You can then manage media stored on it, control movie playback from another room, or simply turn it on. Whee!

#6 There's A TiVo-like Add-on

Plans call for PS3 to eventually receive a USB video input box that will make it capable of recording video and television programming to the optional micro HDD. In other words, TiVo. Sony is also making a lot of behind-the-scenes noise about being able to go on trips and download shows you've missed from your PS3 to your PSP -- over the internet. We imagine using a USB cable would work just fine, too.

#7 Most games will be 720p

Although many PS3 games will feature 1080i and 1080p high-definition modes, a majority of developers are using the 720p standard as their target resolution. This is great news because the majority of HDTV's out there don't support 1080p yet, and the ones that do are hella expensive. It's pretty, though.

#8 Speed OR Quality: It's Your Call

It's something PC gamers have been able to do for years: Run their games at a lower resolution in order to speed them up. As it stands, Sony is leaving the door open for developers to offer players the ability to make their games run faster and smoother by using lower resolutions like 480p(progressive) or 480i(the standard egular TVs use). Sony obviously wouldn't want to abandon the majority of gamers who have non-HDTVs do by forcing all games to run at 720p. It's nice to hear that HD-less folks will get a little speed (can't read) from the lower resolutions, but if you're like us, it's all about resolution, baby.
    If true, bring it.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

2. Even the no-HDD stuff?
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. #1 Nice to know I already have a PS3 memory card, shame it's loaded up with NES roms..

#2 .. but I have to buy all new controllers or the USB dongle, which will probably run as much as a PS2 memory card.

#3 Who cares. Let's see in-game footage before you tell me specs.

#4 So basically, I won't buy the PS3 HDD like I didn't buy the PS2 HDD?

#5 Sweet! Another feature I won't use.

#6 Sweet! Another feature I won't use.

#7 Will make the purchase of my future HDTV comforting.

#8 So will developers cop out and just do 480i to save money and open up their titles to the largest audience (the non-HD crowd)?
    Last edited by Port; 01 Aug 2005 at 12:15 PM.

4. I think it's saying that most games will give you a choice of running in high rez, and if you dont, it'll run smoother.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Even the no-HDD stuff?
    Sure.

I'd love to have all of my PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP games work with a memory stick, and be able to have my PS3 and PSP multimedia content shared in the same way. By the time PS3 is released, 1gig sticks should be around $50. I don't think my game saves would ever go over 50mb or so, leaving plenty of space for media and DLC, and by then 3 or even 4gig sticks will probably be coming, and 2gig sticks will be much more prevelent.

6. Blah, Blah, Blah.

Wake me up when a good game comes out on the system.
    "If you aren't a bit depressed, then you aren't paying attention to what's going on in the world - Get busy living or get busy dieing."

7. But you're going to need a PS2 to play any games you already have progress with. That doesn't sound like the ultimate in backwards capability the PS2 was to the PSX. And if the game required a wheel or pad to play you won't be able to play those the same way either, without having to shill out even more money. 50 bucks for a memory stick or a hard drive included in the base price? (and rumors are the X360 is going to be slightly less than the PS3 also) I'd stick with the hard drive. It's no hassle awesomeness.

I don't get giddy from any of these announcements. Quite the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. No hard drive for games = no port of Oblivion.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

9. Yeah, I didn't like the sound of that at first, but then I realized it'll only give me more incentive to actually go back and play through my games again.

Then again, I'm sure someone will work out a program (or accessory, like the DexDrive) to extract your saves to your PC and convert them to your memory stick, but eh. It's not a big problem to me. I'm happy enough that it's backwards compatible with PS1 and 2. And I don't play anything with a wheel or pad.

I mean, if this turns out not true (remember, these aren't announcements, they're rumors), and they stick a hard drive in there, I certainly wouldn't mind, either.

I think #3 is the biggest thing out of these rumors.

I heard that they WERE going to support a peripheral: a giant phallus made especially for Andy.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery