Page 1 of 18 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Idiot at EGM sez vertical shooters are as disliked as text adventure games.

1. Idiot at EGM sez vertical shooters are as disliked as text adventure games.

Picked this up from a Prof Ganson on the Shmups board. A quote from the latest EGM in their new Shikigami review:

Here what they say about Shiki: "Then how about a game that combines the two least popular genres on the planet-- text adventures and overhead shoot-em-ups-- into a single $65 package? The Shiki series has so much backstory behind its bulet-ridden hide that the creators actually made an adventure game based on it. And your choices in this adventure affect the difficulty and enemy setups of the shooting sections. When did shooter plots get so complicated? Beats us-- it's to the point where developers even sell a separate DVD with artwork, interviews, and original radio-drama bits. All this for a game in which you press a single button...a lot.
    To write a biting little editoralizing comment that vertical shooters are all of a sudden "hated/disliked" as much as text games (as if it's a fact) is just plain childish and ignorant writing. Never mind the fact they are two astronomically different genres. It's been coming for a while now but this little stunt has caused me to give up reading EGM. There are a few editors I like but this approaches Gamepro stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by professor ganson
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC
    Who wrote/scored the Nano and Shiki reviews, btw?
    In the case of Nanostray: Shoe (the editor-in-chief), Mark (MacDonald), and Shawn (somebody)

No one claims responsibility for the remarks on Shiki.
    No surprises there. This is the last straw for me after the July issue where they let Jennifer Tsao write a bad review for Bomberman DS right after she said it was the first Bomberman game she had ever played. Ha wow.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 04 Aug 2005 at 02:46 PM.

2. I don't like either genre very much (although v-shooters can be fun in the arcade). I'm not saying he's right, I'm just saying I can understand what he's saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Perhaps that editor just sucked at shooters when they were a child?

4. What do you expect Dylan? It's freaking EGM, they've been known for idiot shit like this for years.
    EXCUSE ME, I'M IN NEED OF MEDICAL ATTENTION!

5. Vertical shooters killed my father and raped my mother.

6. I suck at shooters, but I wouldn't criticise the entire genre. They're fun games, even if I suck. In fact, that's the ONLY genre I can say that about. If I suck at a fighting game, or Stone whups my ass constantly, it's not fun. Same goes for RPG's, adventure, action, whatever.

Don't hold back, Dylan, tell us how you really feel.

Does it make you angry?
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

8. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    I don't like either genre very much (although v-shooters can be fun in the arcade). I'm not saying he's right, I'm just saying I can understand what he's saying.
    It's not about individual tastes, if a person doesn't like shooters then fine. But the anonymous moron who wrote that is lumping in two genres with a childish joke and spins it as if it's truth. It's like saying "Huh? You still like to play Raiden Fighters? Why don't you just play a text based game while you're at it?" See why that sounds dumb now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    Don't hold back, Dylan, tell us how you really feel.

Does it make you angry?
    It makes me feel very irritated. But I'll live. BTW, who is that in your avatar?

9. Soukyougurentai.

10. Quote Originally Posted by crithit5000
    What do you expect Dylan? It's freaking EGM, they've been known for idiot shit like this for years.
    Yeah I know. That's why I said "There are a few editors I like but..." But yes, I have learned my lesson.

That reminds me, doesn't Shane Bettenhausen still post here once in a blue moon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Soukyougurentai.
    ...rocks my manic socks.