Page 1 of 28 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Ridge Racer 6

1. Xbox 360 II Ridge Racer 6

I'm surprised there's no thread for this yet. It's coming in just over 3 months, and as far as we know, the series is now 360 exclusive (no exclusivity announcement's been made, but no PS3 RR has been announced either). I'm kind of surprised they're putting this up against PGR3, but I guess it'll help with the Japanese launch. It also may look a bit nicer if the environments aren't quite as detail-intensive. I can't wait to go online and trash-talk all the wimps using Grip (unless Drift is as busted as it was in R5, in which case I'll be one of them ) Namco came out with this press release today:

Namco today released online gameplay details for "Ridge Racer(TM) 6," the latest installment in the legendary drift racing series for the Xbox 360(TM). Featuring trademark high-speed arcade racing and breathtaking high-definition visuals, the game lets players compete head to head in online races and download new content via Xbox Live(R) for the first time in the history of the Ridge Racer franchise. "Ridge Racer 6" will be available for the Xbox 360 at launch in North America.

"Ridge Racer 6" takes the celebrated racing series online for the first time with Worldwide Online Multiplayer Battles through Xbox Live. Utilizing a Worldwide Player Matching system, players can match up against drivers from around the world in intense head-to-head drift racing match ups. Players can also upload their personal records from the game’s Time Attack mode to see how they stack up against the rest of the world in a persistent Leader Board and download ghost data to virtually race against friends or test their skills against the best in the world. To complement the online "Ridge Racer 6" community, new game content such as new cars will periodically be made available for download from the Xbox Live Marketplace.
    It begins...get ready to start paying for downloadable content. As much as I'm opposed to the idea, I can totally see myself giving in and paying for it. Especially new tracks - that would be pretty huge in a RR game, which traditionally don't have too many of them. It makes me wonder if they'll keep the logo editor in the series, though. Makes it tough to sell Soul Calibur decals or whatever when people can just duplicate them for free.

There's been nothing thrilling or in game shown, though the concept model looks great if it's legitimate. I'm guessing the game will make its playable debut at TGS 2005. These are the only screens that have been released:

[thumb]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/202/reviews/929248_20050722_screen001.jpg[/thumb]
    [thumb]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/202/reviews/929248_20050722_screen002.jpg[/thumb]
    [thumb]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/202/reviews/929248_20050722_screen003.jpg[/thumb]
    [thumb]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/202/reviews/929248_20050722_screen004.jpg[/thumb]
    -Kyo

2. I'm looking forward to this game. I'll probably pick up RR6 and DOA4 at launch.

3. I'd prefer it if this one completely ditches the grip cars that were introduced in R4. Never really cared for that style, but I guess it was just to ensure the GT freaks would bitch less.
    EXCUSE ME, I'M IN NEED OF MEDICAL ATTENTION!

4. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    It begins...get ready to start paying for downloadable content. As much as I'm opposed to the idea, I can totally see myself giving in and paying for it.
    Begins? What about PGR2, among others?

I'm undecided on this one, isn't Namco Hometek developing it?

5. Id pay for the add-ons, if they were worth it.. Im not paying like $10 or whatever for a car pack or some shit, but if the content is quality, then sure. I hope they dont put like all the good cars in the for-pay and totally break the online game, though (isnt that what they sorta did with PGR2?).

Im using the PC expansion thing as a model... for $20 I should get new levels, new characters, and improved gameplay. Scale everything accordingly.

Of course I did spend $40 on Opposing Force, which was awful, so what do I know. They didnt get me with Blue Shift, those bastards.

6. I actually heard it was somebody else, not Hometek, but still western. But all the websites just say "Developer: Namco" and none of the previews I've read say anything on the matter so I don't know. I'll probably only grab one racer at first, and RR & PGR are 1 & 1A on my personal list of best racing games so I'll wait to see in-game footage before deciding on anything.
    -Kyo

7. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    I hope they dont put like all the good cars in the for-pay and totally break the online game, though (isnt that what they sorta did with PGR2?).
    No...

8. I cant believe this is going to be a launch title. Its frickin great, but I'm really skepticle it'll be out and be good. They should just supe up the PSP Ridge Racer. I'm all for that.

Finally, online console Ridge Racer. It cant suck can it?
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

9. Quote Originally Posted by MVS
    No...
    Okay... well I wouldnt know. I never played it online.

10. Please don't suck
    Have a Pile of Shame? Destroy it! Join the Warpact