Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Otakon 2006 (IT'S ALMOST HERE GET YOUR DS READY MAKE YOUR TIME)

1. Katsu is in DC this year?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Brand
    I'm going to Katuscon this year which is in DC but I'm not driving I'm taking the train. Driving in DC is a fucking disaster. But I will be doing a panel on Shin Megami Tensei at both cons. Well I guess if Otakon lets us this year.
    Were you in the one last year?

3. Yes, myself, my friend Shun, and Kurt form the Castlevania dungeon (of all places) did one of the two SMT panels that went on last year. We were the one that was miss spelled shin megumi or something the other was called Do you know Jack Frost? Though the other panel they pretty much talked about import games and such. Good fun. So we are going to do it at Katsucon and again at Otakon (hopefully).

4. Trial's ex-girlfriend showed that article to me and was like "WHAT ARE THEY GONNA DO, BAN COSPLAY NEXT?"

Heh, we can only hope...

And a big WTF to the con moving to D.C. I'll still go regardless.
    Say you like it/Say you need it/When you don't
    Looking better/Shining brighter/Than you do

5. Now maybe I won't have to see Ashe Ketchum with a giant missle sized penis jizzing all over Misty... and get to see some original characters with missle sized penis's jizzing all over original anime girls.

6. Wow their policy forbidding fanart and doujinshi is, to put it mildly, fucking stupid. Where else am I going to get my overpriced h-doujins?

I honestly have no idea if they are legally responsible for the aiding and abetting of IP violations. I honestly have no idea if there is even a legal difference in the US and Japan (because I'm fairly sure those original rights holders are not signing off on every doujin made). There probably is (thinking back to Temco's legal action against the DoA3 hackers, but no action on the oodles of doujin authors drawing Ayane naked with a dick), but I do not know what.

Is there even going to be an art show this year? 99% of the shit there is derivitative works.

What about works that are derivitative but have no license in the US? What if I had a bunch of Touhou-themed guro h-doujins I wanted to peddle? Does this mean I can't spread Marisa's brand of pain and suffering to other fans? This makes me the sad panda.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxia
    Trial's ex-girlfriend showed that article to me and was like "WHAT ARE THEY GONNA DO, BAN COSPLAY NEXT?"
    This is a non-trivial question. How far does their rights upon the imagery extend? At what point does it become too gray to make that judgement? Makes me think of the Marvel/NCSoft case where Marvel sued because people were creating characters that looked too much like their properties. What's the difference between doing it in a virtual world and doing it in a real world? Again, does Otakorp (or any other organization running a convention) have any legal obligation to enforce that? What happens if I can recreate someone in a game that allows that (like any wrestling game)? Are they aiding IP violations because they system allows you to get too detailed? Nothing allows for more details than real life. What about generic designs? Woe to anyone wearing a Japanese schoolgirl uniform...

This may be setting a really ugly precedent. Feh. Are all games going to be hooked up to DRM servers so that we do not reproduce other people's IP in game with content creation tools? What's the difference?

(If anyone really wants Touhou guro h-doujins, we can arrange something off-site.)

-Dippy

7. Guess what, good riddance to your F-Chan Shemale bullshit.

If it keeps Myk out of artist ally, and hanging out with his friends while he's down here I'm all for it.

Fucking shut ins.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick
    Wow their policy forbidding fanart and doujinshi is, to put it mildly, fucking stupid.
    They are not not banning fan art, as I have previously stated. They had a similar thing last year regarding fan art, it just wasn't as widespread, but fan art was still sold that year.
    -Myk

9. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    lol It'll be great if news spreads all over the otakuwebbernet thanks to him.

I'm sure as hell not driving THAT far south. Fuck DC. Those'll be break years.
    DC is like 45 minutes from Baltimore, plus it's a billion times nicer. Baltimore is a fucking hell hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick
    Where else am I going to get my overpriced h-doujins?
    The internet?