Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1929313233

Thread: Yakuza aka Ryuga Gotoku

1. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Sounds good! So then...should I finish up the first completely before hitting the second? Are the stories too related to do otherwise? I mean I'm digging 1 now but if they fixed a lot in 2, then it'll be hard not to play it as soon as it shows up.
    Absolutely finish the first one before starting the second. The plot is a direct continuation and spoils the heck out out the first game's ending. It's really one big story.
    -Kyo

2. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo View Post
    Absolutely finish the first one before starting the second. The plot is a direct continuation and spoils the heck out out the first game's ending. It's really one big story.
    Seconded! Although once you play Yakuza 2, you won't want to go back and play Yakuza 1 because of all the improvements they made in 2. So yeah, beat Yakuza 1.
    -Mullet Jockey-
    Check out my site!
    Eat. Sleep. Music.

3. I kinda wanted to play Kenzan...guess that'll probably never happen.
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

4. You guys weren't kidding - just started Yakuza 2 and it blows the first out of the water. While 1 had an interesting story and solid gameplay behind it, the presentation and mechanics were haphazard. 2 streamlines the whole user interface, unifies all the different UIs used, tightens up the controls and camera, and then makes the story way too cool for its own good.

The facial modeling is amazing for a PS2 game, and the facial animation used in cut scenes is spot on. Direction-wise the story is made even more tense and really adds to what's already there.

Combat is the same so far but I really appreciate that some of the learned moves from 1 are available from the get go. Plus it seems that specials happen when you think they should (thank goodness) and look brutal to boot.

Oh, how could I forget the dialogue?! For a game about the Japanese mafia I thought it was strange that there wasn't at least a Japanese VO option in the first. I'm pretty happy they changed it in 2. And no, I'm not one of those guys who think everything is empirically better in Japanese - I just figure it makes sense given the context of the game.

I'm really glad I had a chance to try this series out. It gives me one more reason to want a PS3 - I'd love to follow the series and see what they pull off next. It easily needs to be one of Sega's flagship titles and marketed as such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

In case it's not obvious, that's a remake of the original for PS3 and 4 as well as Yakuza 6 for PS4.