Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squeezing out the extra juice

1. squeezing out the extra juice

Even after buying a good card, I'm still not getting the best performance out of everything. I need help on some things reguarding how to overclock my card without frying it and getting rid of programs that cause some of my games to get a little jerky.

Also, sound gets a little garbled now and then when I run gens or kega. I didn't have this problem with a geforce 4 card (PCI), so I have no idea what the heck is making it work improperly.

2. Your computer probably sucks.
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

3. Well it's not some fucking alienware system now is it?

4. You should find out if your card can benefit from updated or alternative firmware.
    A lot of low to mid-range cards can actually be upgraded to a better card simply by changing the firmware.
    Most Radeon 9550 cards can easily be flashed to a 9600.

5. Can Geforce cards do that as well?

I'm running a 6600.

6. 6600 non pro? waste of money. the 6600gt is on par with a radeon 9800pro which was the best last generation so yours even falls below that. but mebbe knowing was resolutions and what games, as well as system specs might help. or dont bother asking. i really hate when people ask non-descript pc questions.

as far as overclocking an nvidia card, rivatuner is what i use.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    6600 non pro? waste of money. the 6600gt is on par with a radeon 9800pro which was the best last generation so yours even falls below that. but mebbe knowing was resolutions and what games, as well as system specs might help. or dont bother asking. i really hate when people ask non-descript pc questions.
    I've got my resolutions mostly set to 800x600 for most my stuff. I can run all features on games like unreal tournament 2004 and bloodrayne 2, but I take a few hits here and there, it's constantly worse for the latter.

I know it's a waste, but that's not even the big card I'm planning on till next year (PCI-express). Does it matter what arpature size I set my AGP memory at? I've currently got it at 64 and the card is 256.

as far as overclocking an nvidia card, rivatuner is what i use.
    I should try that, the coolbits stuff ain't working for me.

8. Quote Originally Posted by voltz
    I've got my resolutions mostly set to 800x600 for most my stuff. I can run all features on games like unreal tournament 2004 and bloodrayne 2, but I take a few hits here and there, it's constantly worse for the latter.

I know it's a waste, but that's not even the big card I'm planning on till next year (PCI-express). Does it matter what arpature size I set my AGP memory at? I've currently got it at 64 and the card is 256.
    the 256 megs on a 6600 is pretty much pointless. the card doesnt have enough pipes to ever use that much memory. i use default agp aperture size. make sure agp is set at 4x or 8x (no real owrld difference between 4 and 8 but if you can go 8 do it). what cpu do you have and do you have at least a gig of ram? these days you need a gig and a good cpu or they will both bottleneck your gpu (even if its not the best). if youre taking hits on bloodrayne 2 (which you shouldnt be) your cpu must be inadequate. turn off v-sync even tho it will cause horizontal tearing in your games. it makes BIG difference in older systems. other than that i dont know what else to tell you. you can overclock a gpu all day but if the rest of the rig is holding it back it wont matter.

9. my gear runs with a AMD 64 3200, so it's quite current.

EDIT: smoother so far, but still somewhat jerky.
    Last edited by voltz; 29 Aug 2005 at 08:05 PM.

10. oh hell.....your gpu is bottlenecking that cpu my friend. nice chip. 800x600......with that cpu you should be able to run most anything smooth with most effects turned on. the only thing i can say is if you switched from an ati card you need to run a driver cleaner because ati remnants will not bode well with nvidia drivers and the other way around. how much ram? like i said i hope at LEAST 512, but you should really have a gig.