Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official US Open Thread. That's right, Tennis.

Official US Open Thread. That's right, Tennis.

Amex has got to be so pissed. Their mojo commercials that they've been promoting (...) are now all completely useless. But I guess this answered the question they posed.

In other tennis news, Andy Murray the Scot, the last great british hope, puked all over the Grandstand and still won it in 5.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 04 Sep 2005 at 09:44 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

My mom watches tennis.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia
    Amex has got to be so pissed. Their mojo commercials that they've been promoting (...) are now all completely useless. But I guess this answered the question they posed.

In other tennis news, Andy Murray the Scot, the last great british hope, puked all over the Grandstand and still won it in 5.
    I'm so lost, I have no idea what any of this means. I'm guessing someone was being promoted by a company and lost badly while some other guy got drunk and won... possibly the same match, maybe something else?

4. well, losing 3 tiebreakers isn't exactly getting "hosed"... I feel bad for the poor guy, though.
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

5. Why feel bad? He's a millionaire.

I go to the us open every year. For free. Nobody else watches tennis at all?

Ok, CONTEXT:
    Andy Roddick is currently the top U.S. Men's player. He's young, he's talented, he has the fastest serve in the world at over 150 mph. Unfortunately he hasn't really performed like a Sampras or an Agassi, and there aren't many other US men that can realistically hope to win a major.

So, Roddick gets a lot of sponsorships and hullabaloo. He was seeded 4th overall in this year's US Open, and was playing a first round match against a relative unknown from Luxembourg. He was playing a night match in center court, pretty much the biggest stage at the event, and the most costly to see, and he got beaten soundly. Johnk's right, he didn't really get "hosed," he played very well with few errors, but that's just even more upsetting for the majority of US fans.

The funny bit is how terrible this is for the USTA, and American Express.

First: The USTA was in the second year of trying something called the US Open series, where they tried to generate more interest in smaller tournaments by creating a points race that mattered in the Open, and increase the drama of the open itself. Basically, whoever does the best in the small tournaments creating the US Open series plays for double the prize money in the Open. So Roddick was that guy.

Second: American express had put together an elaborate ad campaign featuring Roddick. see www.andysmojo.com.

Third: The USTA absolutely relies on Roddick to generate American interest in casual tennis fans. All they have left now is a hope that Agassi makes a good run.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

7. There was this ass on Booker's show on KROQ (easily the worst radio show I have ever heard, yet i listen, because nothing else exists to listen to) who was friends with him or something and plays Andy's Mojo in the commercial and he was talking about how much publicity he was gonna get and stuff. HAH!

Delicious irony, this is what happens when you ally yourself with the credit card industry (aka, the devil).

also, tennis is a great sport.

That douche walked right by in the middle of the day. I thought to kick him in the shins, but I was too slow.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

9. This reminds me of the Dan vs. Dave commercials back in the 1992 olympics, when one of the guys didnt even make the squad.