Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic puzzler "Boppin" ported to windows, made freeware

1. Classic puzzler "Boppin" ported to windows, made freeware

A couple weeks ago, 3D Realms (the artists formerly known as Apogee) returned the rights to Boppin to the original authors who ported the game to Windows, did a little tweaking and made the full "registered" 4 episode version freeware.

Boppin is a pretty simple game, and the early levels aren't especially interesting, but it picks up, and I had alot of fun with it back in the day. It was Originally released in very limited numbers on the Amiga, and then ported over to the PC and distributed as shareware by Apogee. It never ran well on newer systems nor emulated right under DOSbox, so having a windows port is great. If you didn't play it back then, and you want a fun time waster, now's as good a time as any.

Boppin Lives

2. Apogee/3DR are stingy bastards. They still sell those games at ridiculous prices. I long for the day when they release a compilation of their back catalog.

It's funny how they gave the rights back and it is immediately released.

Doesn't work for me

3. In fairness, I really don't know the sequence of events leading up to this. I know the game is hosted, supported and updated on a site owned by the creators, but they did advertise it's "freeing" on 3DRealms.com. They also released the 1996 shooter stargunner as freeware recently, but no one bothered to port it or update it like Boppin.

id also has the rights to their old stuff softdisk and apogee stuff, and they've turned up on compliations a few times. So I don't think apogee is being really stingy or anything, nor do I think they even sell alot of those old games.

4. Man Boppin was one of those games that made me love PCs back in the early 90s

5. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams
    Doesn't work for me
    you suck.

6. Can you make the Window bigger? It's so Friggin small

7. How do you guys get the page to load?

8. what do you mean?

9. I mean, the page just doesn't load for me so I can't get to the file