Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: I've had a gaming epiphany (DS love thread)

1. I've had a gaming epiphany (DS love thread)

Here's what it boils down to for me: I never wanted to play subpar console games on a tiny little screen (I didn't even look at GBA games until the GB Player came out, then just played them on the Cube), and I always sorta felt like it was a waste of developers. For example, instead of the GBA Castlevanias I'd rather have new 2d console ones. When I'm out I'm usually doing something more important than playing subpar videogames to what I can play when I'm home. What made me realize all this so clearly is the Nintendo DS, in that I've fallen in love with it because I'm now playing stuff I could never play on a home console. I'm playing a handheld at home, not for novelty, but because it's the only way to deliver a new and fun game experience.

I always thought the DS was just going to be a gimmick stopgap system while Nintendo readied the Super GBA, and thought all the early adopters of the DS were in for a 32x-style rape. Now, playing games like Kirby and Nintendogs, I'm in love with the thing and more excited about it's future than the new home consoles (me more excited about a handheld than home consoles is pretty freakin' crazy, and probably won't last, but still).

I have new faith in Nintendo, am actually starting to buy into the whole "making games fun again" thing, and now I'm truly excited about Revolution (especially if the gyroscopic controller rumor pans out). I'm still a little worried about it being underpowered, but it's specs aren't final and Nintendo's always had a habit of pulling great inexpensive graphics architecture out of it's ass.

The DS hitting it's stride fully, combined with Microsoft doing everything possible to turn me off of the 360 (except maybe announcing a ban on Star Wars games) has changed my gaming paradigm completely. I'm officially on board, I no longer think Nintendo's trying to just save money by making cheap to develop software, I've gulped down the kool aid. I really want Microsoft to pull me back though because I want to love the 360 again...

2. well that was informative

3. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    Here's what it boils down to for me: I never wanted to play subpar console games on a tiny little screen
    Do you really think that people play handhelds instead of consoles? It's a portable, dude. You play it when you're not home. It's a time waster. It doesn't have to be better than the console, it has to be better than the crossword puzzle or whatever the fuck else you would have been doing if you didn't have it. How can you not get that?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    Do you really think that people play handhelds instead of consoles? It's a portable, dude. You play it when you're not home. It's a time waster. It doesn't have to be better than the console, it has to be better than the crossword puzzle or whatever the fuck else you would have been doing if you didn't have it. How can you not get that?
    That doesn't change the fact that games get released on handhelds when they would be way better off on a console (eg. Castlevania).
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    Hmmmm. "Better than a crossword puzzle?" C'mon. That seems a little jaded. The GBA was the last great dedicated 2D console, while the DS is surprisingly keeping it alive too (for the most part besides Mario 64 or dreck like RR DS) I play my portables every bit as much as my consoles.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    Do you really think that people play handhelds instead of consoles?
    Many do, yes.

Anyhow, SpoDaddy, I completely agree with you. I haven't been a huge fan of a Nintendo console since the NES, but I love the DS. I wasn't sure I was going to at first, mainly because of the same things you said - it felt like it was a stopgap handheld that was using a gimmick to try to attract buyers.

But the DS is to handhelds what the DC was to consoles for me - something bringing a lot of new, interesting, different experiences that other companies or hardware wasn't giving. It isn't trying to be what it's not, it is just trying to provide a fun experience playing games. That's part of the reason I'm not so impressed with the PSP - yes, it is an awesome piece of hardware that can do some cool things. But if you already have a few decent home consoles, it is just another handheld trying to do what consoles do but not doing it as well. If you only have a PSP, then it is the best thing since sliced bread. The DS, however, is worthwhile if you have other home consoles or not, if you travel or if you just play at home, no matter what.

The other thing I love about it is Nintendo is taking a completely different philosophy when it comes to making games versus the GameCube. I HAAAAAATE Mario, but 90% of the games Nintendo makes for the GC involve Mario in some way. But with the DS, Nintendo is making or publishing a whole host of games that are new ideas and characters and aren't just "Let's stick Mario in X type of game" stuff.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

7. shidoshi, I'm glad to see another person make the DC-DS connection here. The creativity in each system's libraries gives me hope about gaming's future.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 03 Sep 2005 at 04:53 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

8. I'd also like to second what shidoshi said regarding unique titles on DC and DS which makes their libraries somewhat comparable. DC had very unique games like Shenmue, JGR, Seaman (never played it but i guess if you want to make the extreme Electroplankton/Nintendogs connection). DS is giving me great stuff like Yoshi's TnG (fallen in love with it again, yes it is a "demo" but it has insanse replay value) and Kirby Cursed Canvas, two games which have pretty much reinvented platformers, no small feat!
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 03 Sep 2005 at 04:25 PM.

9. I haven't bought in to the whole DS thing yet, but it seems like something I might enjoy. The only problem is that I don't have a lot of spare time for game consoles right now, so a portable just isn't a good buy for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. I love my DS for games like Meteos, Kirby, Ouendan, games that relevantly implement the DS's layout. But games like Castlevania DoS (and even Goemon) I would much rather have seen on the PSP, especially after seeing the recent screens of the new Ghouls n' Ghosts. The stylus really has no place in these games and the dual screen doesn't add much to the experience. The comments referring to the DS as the last bastion of 2D gaming are only applicable because the DS hardware really can't handle anything else. I think the PSP, because it is portable and not a console, will be much more receptive to 2D titles than one would expect from Sony. If and when this happens, the DS really has nothing I'm interested in except 1st party content, which, in all fairness, is enough justification to own one.