Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Editorial on lack of PSP games/problems from OPM/1up.com.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    sleeveboy, how are the remakes on the Namco collection? They're one key reason I'm interested in it, and if they're done well, it'll be an instant purchase when I get the PSP.
    Outstanding. Plenty of customization options, and the inclusion of Rolling Thunder makes it worth buying.

Read a review from any major gaming site for more details, or feel free to ask questions about specific games if you have them.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Where were these articles during the seven months that the DS had absolute fuck all for games?
    Probably in the same place where people were putting their enthusiasm for the system (i.e. the netherworld). Like shidoshi pointed out, I think pretty much everyone assumed DS would just suck until Kirby kick-started a summer of great releases.

Of course it's not like no one complained during that drought. When PSP launched with Ridge Racers, Wipeout and Lumines, everyone was pretty quick to notice the lack of good games on DS. DS got over it, and now PSP is in its place. Everyone's pointing it out, just like with DS (and there are plenty of Sony-only magazines that have the opportunity to write it). Once the PSP gets a good lineup, I doubt anyone's going to continue complaining about it because "it sucked real bad at one time."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    (sans the motion-sensitive games I'd imagine)
    Tilt-sensing games work fine on DS. Why wouldn't they?

3. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    Being honest, Joe Average has no idea what a "2.0 firmware" or a "1.5 firmware" is, nor does he care. People like us know and care, but those kind of people are the type far more likely to already have a PSP by now.
    There are a lot of people that know about emulation and piracy on PSP, though, even if they don't understand the specifics of it.
    Anyone who's into games enough to drop $250 on a handheld will probably be aware of it when the system stops supporting emulators and ISO images.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    There are a lot of people that know about emulation and piracy on PSP, though, even if they don't understand the specifics of it.
    Anyone who's into games enough to drop $250 on a handheld will probably be aware of it when the system stops supporting emulators and ISO images.
    You obviously haven't seen the people purchasing PSPs that I have. Just two days ago I was at Best Buy picking up Advance Wars DS, and a teenager and his parents were getting him a PSP. The guy knew that it could play games, and that it was "hip," but that's about it.

In fact, I'd say that since the PSP is flashy and "cool," far more non-gamer types will be picking it up than something like the DS.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

5. Andy, I know you try hard to pull off the whole impartial thing but face it, you're a PSP whore and the DS ran over your dog I think

Nobody trashed on the DS because nobody hyped the DS. Everyone assumed it was a stopgap system before some Super Game Boy Mega Advance system launched, and Nintendo was pumping out info about stuff like wireless online Mario Kart for people to look forward to. Sony has done nothing but run their mouth about the PSP being the greatest thing since fire, it's really expensive, it's got design flaws (I would think even the most clueless mainstream consumer would be starting to get frustrated with Sony's piss poor hardware construction by now), and the future release list is dull as shit. There's no exciting new online Final Fantasy MMORPG coming soon, the closest to a killer app the system has coming is a semi port of Grand Theft Auto 3. Still, people were patient. But when the Nintendo DS actually turned out to be for real and get some great unique games, the impending new Game Boy was a keychain version of the original GBA, and Nintendo released details about an Xbox live style network for DS that will be completely free and play beloved games like Mario Kart, people started thinking. Whatta ya know, the DS just dropped in price and comes with Mario 64 too, what's going on in PSP land? Oh, it's still 250 bucks. And it still has shit for games aside from a couple racing games from the launch. Nothing exciting is coming. And the PSP case is full of overpriced bare bones PSP DVD's instead of games.

I think the comparison between PS2 in the beginning and Nintendo DS is really astute, they both treaded water on backwards compatibility and great future releases until the great stuff started coming out.

The price of the PSP is also really hurting it, Sony seems to be heading towards a trend of releasing really expensive systems while saying "We're Sony, our hardware is like a work of art, and if you can't afford it you're not sophisticated enough to appreciate it anyway. This isn't for kids". That's a dangerous way of doing business when you've got the Nintendo Juggernaut taking it's belt off as you're bent over in la la land on the handheld front, and Microsoft playing for blood on the home console front. The Xbox 360 is ready to succeed the already established and well loved Xbox while interest in your aging underpowered console is slipping away and you STILL don't have your online shit together (Anyone that thought Nintendo would have a comprehensive online gaming network up and running before Sony, raise your hand liars). Sony needs a wake up call fast, all this stupid arrogance reeks of Nintendo circa 1996 and unlike Nintendo, Sony's goal is to keep gaining market share. Nintendo can get away with it because they have an assload of beloved franchises. Call me crazy but I don't think you can print money by releasing a tennis game featuring Sly Cooper while flipping the bird at third parties.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    You'd think so in theory, but look at the Ipod. Most Ipod buyers are functional retards. And don't forget, the PSP isn't a games system, it's a "portable multimedia device". It's shiny and pretty and hip and overpriced, morons eat that shit up like warm gravy.
    Last edited by SpoDaddy; 05 Sep 2005 at 03:59 AM.

6. That's a cute rant on Sony, SpoDaddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    The price of the PSP is also really hurting it
    Not really--system sales for PSP are getting close to DS sales in the US.
    Sony seems to be heading towards a trend of releasing really expensive systems while saying "We're Sony, our hardware is like a work of art, and if you can't afford it you're not sophisticated enough to appreciate it anyway. This isn't for kids".
    One handheld system = a trend?
    That's a dangerous way of doing business when you've got the Nintendo Juggernaut taking it's belt off as you're bent over in la la land on the handheld front
    Because Nintendo being cheaper really helped in the Cube vs. PS2 fight.
    and Microsoft playing for blood on the home console front.
    Relevance to handhelds slipping.
    The Xbox 360 is ready to succeed the already established and well loved Xbox while interest in your aging underpowered console is slipping away
    PS2 still has more good games on the horizon than Xbox and 360 combined.

In conclusion, there are times when you should stop using the keyboard. This was probably one of them.

7. You know, I really don't give a shit what OPM has to say.

All I know is that I'm happy with my PSP as a multimedia/Lumines player, and I'm happy with my DS for Kirby/Nintendogs/soon to be Animal Crossing player. It was all money well spent.

8. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    You'd think so in theory, but look at the Ipod. Most Ipod buyers are functional retards. And don't forget, the PSP isn't a games system, it's a "portable multimedia device". It's shiny and pretty and hip and overpriced, morons eat that shit up like warm gravy.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with iPods. I have no clue what you're trying to get at, but you don't have a point. Most buyers of anything are functional retards. You peg the iPod because it's trendy, but when people complain about PS2s breaking left and right, I have to wonder how many of them are due to mishandling and stupidity on the part of the owner. My launch PS2 is still alive and kicking without a single problem. Go figure. I own a second gen 20GB iPod and an iPod shuffle I scored from Gratis, and they're both great products. Nobody who buys an iPod is losing out on shit, unless you consider them missing the joy of paying less for a less elegant player with a crap interface.

I got pretty angry when Kutaragi came out swinging about the PSP defects after Japanese launch, bitching at people for criticising the design. However, when I finally got my hands on my own PSP, I was the first to admit that the thing is a damn work of art. It amazes me how it can function like it does and be as small as it is. The screen's beautiful and I have no qualms with the battery life. However, it really isn't for kids. It feels fragile, and it probably is. You act as if "portable media device" is some kind of pretentious crap Sony made up, but it's a more apt description than calling it a handheld game system, especially when the number of UMDs out outnumbers the movies. When I either a) get suckered into updating my firmware (unlikely) or b) get my hands on a good web browser that's not the official one, the PSP will eliminate a lot of the need to carry a laptop, even. Anywhere you can get into someone's wifi, you have a web browser.

It's a different kind of system for a different kind of audience. You're really not looking at this broadly enough. If you're looking to something to play portable games on, then sure, I guess you can see them as directly competing. However, if you're looking for a device that does everything that PSP can, you're not going to give DS a thought. Unless, of course, you're a functional retard.
    Last edited by Grave; 05 Sep 2005 at 04:36 AM.

9. MarkRyan: Did you go out of your way to not understand what I said?

Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    The price of the PSP is also really hurting it

MarkRyan: "Not really--system sales for PSP are getting close to DS sales in the US."

Getting close to DS sales in the US and getting trounced in Japan, where most of the developers Sony relies on come from. Also, those US numbers are fading fast considering DS sales went up by between 150 and 300% according to most retailers and show no signs of stopping. Try again.

Sony seems to be heading towards a trend of releasing really expensive systems while saying "We're Sony, our hardware is like a work of art, and if you can't afford it you're not sophisticated enough to appreciate it anyway. This isn't for kids".

MarkRyan: "One handheld system = a trend?"

Were you in a coma this whole time Sony's been bragging about how expensive the PS3 will be and telling people to get second jobs if they want it? I thought you got paid to keep up with this shit.

That's a dangerous way of doing business when you've got the Nintendo Juggernaut taking it's belt off as you're bent over in la la land on the handheld front

MarkRyan: "Because Nintendo being cheaper really helped in the Cube vs. PS2 fight."

How can you compare the two situations? First of all, in the handheld market there's a HUGE difference between a $250 price point and a $129 w/free game price point (especially when that free game is better than anything on the $250 system's current or future release lists). With home consoles, $300 and a year head start vs. $200 isn't nearly the same gap, ESPECIALLY if you consider that Sony had most of the market share going into it. Going into this, Nintendo had ALL the market share. And if you don't think it helped Nintendo to be $100 cheaper than the PS2 you're just not paying attention.

Originally posted by SpoDaddy
    and Microsoft playing for blood on the home console front.

MarkRyan: "Relevance to handhelds slipping."

Should I have prefaced with "I'M NOW TALKING ABOUT SONY OVERALL LOL" or "MICROSOFT DOESN'T MAKE A HANDHELD " so you'd understand better?

Originally posted by SpoDaddy
    The Xbox 360 is ready to succeed the already established and well loved Xbox while interest in your aging underpowered console is slipping away

MarkRyan: "PS2 still has more good games on the horizon than Xbox and 360 combined."

In which bizzaro realm do you live where the majority of people are more interested in the PS2's "horizon" than the Xbox 360? Microsoft has basically shoved it's dick in a wall socket the last month or so regarding the 360 and people are still trampling each other preordering it. Also, how can a game be good before it even exists as a game yet? Is that another one of those twilight zone things?

MarkRyan: "In conclusion, there are times when you should stop using the keyboard. This was probably one of them."

You're right, next time I get bored I'll give you a call instead and yell at you like a dog that just shit on the rug, that way at least you'll understand what the fuck I'm talking about. I appologize if I've kept you away from writing another bullshit essay about Halo 2, when you stop cranking those puppies out the terrorists have won.

10. Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan
    In conclusion, there are times when you should stop using the keyboard. This was probably one of them.
    Seriously.