Thread: The Escapist

1. The Escapist

It's another Doom/Gloom article for the industry, but I liked it.

**Warning** It's a PDF file.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issu...Escapist_8.pdf

2. It's an interesting read, but I quit worrying about the kind of thinking the writer is wailing about a long while ago. Right now I just beat Graffiti Kingdom, and my DS is getting regular gaming time. I'm not having any problem balancing my gaming time between the same old thing done really well and something new and unique.

James

That was more interesting and well written than most doom and gloom articles. It makes good points about big gaming companies stifling creativity and while there is truth to it it would be naiive to think that wasn't a problem before.

4. The second life piece is cool too, I play around in there but don't buy/sell stuff with real money in there.

5. This article claims that a model with twice the number of polygons takes twice as long to create. This is complete bullshit, as alot of modeling in games at this point is, in fact, generated from models with far more polygons. Polygon count isn't the hold up at all.

Texture work is a hold up. Hi-res textures certainly taker longer to produce. And now with new lighting models it's not just texture maps. Artists have to produce normal maps, luminance maps, reflection maps, etc, etc. There's alot more that goes into it. It's not that simple or linear like "twice the resolution=twice the time" or anything that stupid. It's not like the old days where art is done pixel by pixel and vector by vector.

6. Well I do agree that I've noticed it's probably impossible to make a creative game the way you want to. At least thats how it seems to me now.
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

7. and now, for part 2.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/9/4

Death to the Games Industry, Part II is continued from Part I, in last week's issue of The Escapist.

How Do We Get There?
    I first started talking about the problems in the gaming industry in a soapbox piece in Game Developer magazine back in 1999, but at the time, I had no clear idea how to address the problem. Today, however, I think a confluence of technological, cultural, and business trends make the outline of a solution visible. But to make it happen, we have to do three things:

1. We have to attack the business model.
    2. We have to attack the distribution model.
    3. And we have to change the audience aesthetic.

8. When I first saw this thread title I thought someone had made a game out of the fictional comic book featured in the book (and soon-to-be-movie) The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

Michael Chabon, anyone?
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

9. I thought of this.