Thread: Ikaruga (GCN)

1. Nintendo GameCube Ikaruga (GCN)

Title: Ikaruga
    Developer: Treasure
    Genre: Shooter (Arcade)
    Platform: Gamecube
    Players: 1-2

Ideal

Gamers are very lucky these days, but they just don't know it, some of us complain about some games being too difficult, but the truth is that things couldn't be easier. A lot of games can be completed within days, or a week. It's a sad fact but the majority of games are getting much easier with the invention of save points and checkpoints. The idea of a game that has none of these things would alienate a lot of gamers these days, but two decades ago it was actually really common to see. Ikaruga was originally a Dreamcast title that wowed the public with it's great graphics, original concept and very fast pace and speed. It was the last great title for many on what was undoubtedly, the most underrated console of all time. The game was developed by Treasure, a company that was famous for it's arcade shooters, both side scrolling and top down. Shortly after Ikaruga, Treasure stayed quiet for quite a long time, until the launch of the Gamecube when they developed both Wario World, and Dragon Drive, but these weren't the usual Treasure fares, they always excelled in shooters and shooters is what they should do. So Treasure, with the help of Atari, brought Ikaruga to the Gamecube.

Trial

There was a fair bit of buzz about this game in Japan, even before it came out, the reason behind all the buzz was because it attempted to do something that no other shooter had ever done. The game uses a system called "Polarity". Using polarity you can change the colour of your ship from white to black, enemy ships also share the same colours. Polarity change is activated by using A. Shooting an enemy with the opposite colour fire results in the enemy taking heavier damage, but your at risk when taking on enemies of the opposite colour because if an opposite colour shot hits you just once, you lose a life. The reason? Well, changing the polarity of the ship allows you to avoid and absorb enemy fire of the same colour, if you’re the opposite polarity and your hit it's over. Absorbing the enemy fire fills up a bar on the left hand side of the screen, this allows you to fire off a special charge shot by pressing the R trigger this shot can obliterate many an enemy, the power depends on how much the bar can fill, the higher it's filled the more devastating it is. The same rule applies for this as well as using opposite polarity charge shots has the same effect as a normal shot, except more powerful. It's important to keep your charge shots in reserve, as you'll need it for large groups of enemies and/or bosses. And the standard shot is fired using B. The fire is a lot more rapid than other shooters, it feel like you have a super powered polarity gatling gun inside you ship, it feels chunky and is satisfying to fire.

Enemy AI is fixed, they all move on a set path and axis, but that doesn't mean that they're exactly dumb, enemies don't fire in a straight path, a lot of them rotate shots, and can move in any eight directions much like you. They manipulate the path of their shots making different colour shots criss cross and zig zag each other making life a lot tougher for you as you have to weave in and out of shots using polarity as well as salvaging a few of the enemies fire to charge up your bar. Multi tasking is a must and without fast reactions and a fair knowledge of each enemy type you'll just find yourself dying and getting frustrated. The game also has a chain system, the chain system requires you to destroy 3 enemies of the same polarity in a row constantly switching from 3 black to 3 white, vice versa, or the same. You can shoot the same type of ship more than once in a row but it must be 3 kills each time. This increases your chain counter which also increases your score with each successful chain, it's a great system, if your a high score purist you'll love it, it'll keep you on your toes at all times as you strategize ahead of events.

The game looks very very nice, the detail in the background is just as busy as the detail in the foreground, and the backgrounds constantly change as you progress through each level giving a feeling of depth to each level. Take the first level for example, shortly after taking off your ship dips under a thick mass of clouds only to appear to be drifting over a luscious rainforest. It's little touches like these that makes Ikaruga a truly unique and cool looking game. Ships rush in firing anything from 3 to over 100 bullets at a time, you may find yourself admiring the fireworks at times instead of watching were your going. The sound is just as unique as the style in which the game is presented. A tiny robot voice talks in the background informing you of how many chains you have amassed, it's a really cool little addition and sounds quite cute, and the music is fantastic, it has an epic air about it with loud drums and various other orchestral noises. It one of the most unique and stylish games to come out in years, along with Zelda: The Wind Waker and ICO.

Faith

This is old school gaming, a true homage to shooters back in the late 80's and mid 90's. It takes all the elements of the genre then twists and manipulates them into something new. Be warned, you will not complete this game easily. It's one of the toughest games on any console to date. You'll get frustrated as you timed the change of your polarity at the wrong time allowing that last stray bullet to hit your ship, destroying it, resulting in you carelessly losing a precious life, or you'll crash into a moving structures as you position your ship in the wrong place only a tiny bit away from exactly were you were meant to be flying.

And don't even get me started on some of the bosses, about 75% of these feel extremely hard and you'll find yourself losing many credits on that one boss forcing you to trek through the earlier stages again. Don't buy this game expecting an easy ride, there may only be 5 stages but 4 of them are insanely difficult and with no in game save mode your going to be starting from the beginning a lot. Good thing there a practice mode to hone your skills on each stage that you've previously completed.

If you embrace old school gameplay, a unique concept, and shooters then pick Ikaruga up now. You won't regret it.

Graphics: 9.0
    It's unique, sharp, clear, and has a great art style that can't be found in any other game on the market, or in any other shooter. A great look from what is usually a minimalist genre.

Sound: 9.0
    Very pleasing, the music is epic and impressive, the sound mixes in with the action really nicely, and the alien robot announcer really adds a unique touch to the soundtrack.

Gameplay: 9.5
    This is the stuff, it blends old school gameplay with unique concepts and touches that have never really been tried in a shooter before and succeeds, very few games nail a unique concept well but Ikaruga does...and how!

Lifespan: 9.1
    5 Chapters, 3 difficulty settings, that makes 15 levels with a steadily growing difficulty, and you'll die plenty of times even on easy mode, unlockable secrets are also awarded for extensive playing or meeting certain requirements.

Score: 9.2
    People really should've picked this game up while they had the chance, it's a shame to find such a great and unique title undersell. If you find a copy of this, don't hesitate to snap it up, I know I didn't and I'm enjoying every moment of it.

2. It should be noted that Ikaruga originated as a Naomi arcade title in 2001 before the Dreamcast's home port in Fall of 2002. Most of the hype surrounding this game is based on the fact that this is an unofficial sequel to Treasure's ST-V/Saturn game Radiant Silvergun, an extremely rare but critically acclaimed shooter. Both games share a few common themes and minor gameplay similarities.

I have to say that those are incredible-looking screenshots of the Gamecube version. I've played the Naomi and Dreamcast (via 480p/VGA on a 32" monitor) versions in-depth, and I don't recall seeing nearly as much detail or color depth.

Finally, it's too bad that the US Gamecube version failed to include/translate the poems that introduce every stage in the Japanese original. It really adds to the unique style of the game, that I agree is in good company with Zelda WW and Ico. Good review.
    Last edited by Taito; 08 Sep 2005 at 07:53 AM.

This game isn't fun at all.

I mean, Mars Matrix is hard too but at least I have a blast playing it.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

4. read the ikaruga.co.uk boards - they made me decide not to get any of the GC version. Ikaruga should be played on dreamcast through the vga-box.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

5. I love the game, and it was actually refreshing to play for some reason.
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

6. Quote Originally Posted by dakidski
    read the ikaruga.co.uk boards - they made me decide not to get any of the GC version. Ikaruga should be played on dreamcast through the vga-box.
    I've played both, and it's not a big deal to me, although there is a clear difference. I like the DC version wayyy better.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rocca
    I've played both, and it's not a big deal to me, although there is a clear difference. I like the DC version wayyy better.
    I own both versions and I like the GC controls wayyy better. Overall one of my favorite shooter.