Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Area 88: OVA

1. Area 88: OVA

I just finished watching the excellent OVA series Area 88. It’s one of the best OVA and might I add anime I have seen in a while. It surprises me the quality of it since it was made so long ago. I was wondering if there where more fans of the anime who want to discuss the ending. I won’t post it here but for those who have seen it know how tragic and sad it ends.
    Anyway I would rank this a 9/10 as far as complete 3 disc OVA ranking. I have the new TV series as well but I’ll wait till next weekend before I get into that.

Area 88 review
    Last edited by Zerohero; 14 Sep 2005 at 09:48 AM.
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

2. i've seen the first tape of this and it seemed a million times better than the new show. I'd like to pick the oav up on dvd one day.

3. Quote Originally Posted by perkyskirt
    i've seen the first tape of this and it seemed a million times better than the new show. I'd like to pick the oav up on dvd one day.
    I watched one episode of the TV serires. It looks OK but the animation quality doesn't look all that great so far.

4. is this somehow related to that old capcom shooter?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    is this somehow related to that old capcom shooter?
    It's the anime/manga that it spawn from.

6. I had no idea there even was an OVA, let alone a new show.
    I had one of the B&W comics and thought it was okay, and I loved the game.
    How old is the OVA?

7. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    I had no idea there even was an OVA, let alone a new show.
    I had one of the B&W comics and thought it was okay, and I loved the game.
    How old is the OVA?
    This past year has seen a glossy, digitally animated TV remake of the popular 1980s manga Area 88 by Kaoru Shintani. I'm not too sure what to think of this-- recent remakes have yielded decidedly mixed results, from the spectacularly awful Babel II: Beyond Infinity to the just plain spectacular Tetsujin 28. The new Area 88 is just arriving on DVD in North America, and before I tackle it I thought I'd break out the original Area 88 animation, a 3-part OVA from 1985. I loved this thing to death (not to mention the comics, which were published for a short time by Viz) when it came out stateside in 1992, and wanted to see how it held up.

8. Oops.
    I didn't see the link to the review.
    I guess you must have the subbed VHS.

9. I have the subbed VCD of all three

10. Nice.
    They must be bootlegs, right?
    Where did you find them?