Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 24567 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Xtreme BETA for Sale...

1. Terraforming and pulsating landscape.... what a trippy game Not really

2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Supposedly it never actually used the NiGHTs engine, though, just the tools like the level editor.
    ..sure looks like the NiGHTS engine.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Love View Post
    ..sure looks like the NiGHTS engine.
    How could you possibly tell that? It looks like a level made with the NiGHTs editor, running on Saturn. How can you tell what the polygon code is like?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    How could you possibly tell that? It looks like a level made with the NiGHTs editor, running on Saturn. How can you tell what the polygon code is like?
    I'm ignorant about editors and polygon code. But I'm just saying it looks exactly like when Claris is walking around in Nights except things are moving a bit faster and you have some rings and Sonic.

Maybe you need to explain to me the difference between the Nights editor and the Nights engine.

5. The editor is the thing they use to design the levels. The engine is the thing actually running the game.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Love View Post
    I'm ignorant about editors and polygon code. But I'm just saying it looks exactly like when Claris is walking around in Nights except things are moving a bit faster and you have some rings and Sonic.

Maybe you need to explain to me the difference between the Nights editor and the Nights engine.
    pretty much ALL Saturn games looked the same when it came to somewhat big, outdoor environments.

7. A new pre-alpha/demo of Sonic Xtreme has been unearthed, this one more similar to what we saw so many screenshots of. It turns out that the bulk of Sonic Xtreme development was actually being done on PC and a third party was porting the work to Saturn. One of the PC betas (not the game in its final state, but rather just a sliver in time) was found with that third party, but only ran on Windows 95 with an Nividia NV1 card.

This version has now been ported to modern PCs with Open GL. It's pretty rough, but it's more interesting than the earlier Saturn demo.

Download

8. I dunno, I mean, it's there, I guess

They weren't lying that SOMETHING existed

it's so far from anything resembling anything functional

9. This makes Sonic Adventure look like the greatest miracle of all time. It's amazing they even got there from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    I dunno, I mean, it's there, I guess

They weren't lying that SOMETHING existed

it's so far from anything resembling anything functional
    The game made it a lot further than this. But it's more than the earlier Saturn leak.

I highly doubt it ever would have been a good game, but it's an interesting bit of game history all the same