Thread: Where do you think these franchises will end up?

1. Question Where do you think these franchises will end up?

This is pure, idle speculation as I sit here at work with nothing to do on a Wednesday morning. Feel free to add your own guesses for other franchises being exclusive or ported.

Most of the other franchises I care about I'm pretty sure where they'll end up, but these have a chance at ending up on PS3 and/or 360.

Ninja Gaiden: Was a flagship title for the original Xbox, but Itagaki has made comments to the effect that he wants it on the most powerful hardware. No announcement has been made as to where it'll land - they're being deliberately cagey about it - but there's been alot of speculation it could go to PS3, and Tecmo has announced "action game - genre: action" for PS3.

But, moneyhats talk, MS would hate to lose this one, and Team Ninja has already started learning 360 with multiple projects on tap, so starting from scratch on the more complex PS3 may be undesirable.

Odds (%):

Xbox 360: 65
    PS3: 35

Shenmue: The latest in the saga of the ultimate in Japanese vapourware is that Sega has it mostly done, and is just shopping it around to see if anyone's willing to offer a sweetheart deal to make it exclusive. Sony would offer an audience more likely to buy it, but Xbox had II and Microsoft is desperate for Japanese content. Of course, they paid for II and it did nothing for them, so they may pass. Or Sega could not get a worthwile offer and just go multi.

Odds

Xbox 360: 50
    PS3: 50

The Elder Scrolls: Early on there were rumours that there'd be a PS3 version. Then there were rumours Bethesda wasn't interested because they were ticked the PS3 hard drive wasn't standard. But now that the 360 hard drive isn't standard, they can't really hold that grudge anymore. I'd heard Microsoft people were saying Oblivion was a 360 (console) exclusive at the European Games Conference, but who knows what that word means these days, exclusive for 6 months? Exclusive until they release the gold edition w/expansions?

Odds

Xbox 360 100

PS3 25

Ridge Racer: It's hard to imagine a Sony console launching without one, but again, there wasn't even an annoucenment of "Namco racing game" at TGS and Microsoft folks are calling RR6 exclusive. I'm thinking they just left out the word "timed."

Odds:

Xbox 360: 100
    PS3: 90

Any other guesses?
    Last edited by StriderKyo; 21 Sep 2005 at 10:47 AM.
    -Kyo

2. Actually, your estimates are pretty damned good, imo. For stuff that's definitely coming out for 360 (Ridge Racer, Oblivion), I really don't care if it ever comes out on PS3. Aside from the fact that I will have already played those games on 360, I usually have little interest in games that have already appeared on another console earlier in the generation even if I haven't already played them. Irrational, I know, but somehow the feeling that they're "old" dampens my enthusiasm.

The big question mark is Ninja Gaiden -- the reigning king of action games this gen, and an appearance on PS3 would be huge. Still, I've got to believe the Team Ninja has been at least laying the groundwork on that one for a while, which suggests that a 360 rev is very likely.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

3. The DOA4 intro they showed at TGS was practically all Ryu. So from that, I sort of doubt NG2 would go to PS3 exclusively.

Honestly, I think this gen will see a lot more timed exclusives. I would say practically anything that's in a position to sell well on both will hit both eventually.

4. Let's face it, making things exclusive these days doesn't make as much sense. It seems like more people own multiple systems these days, and if they don't, they aren't going to buy a system for an exclusive game, they'll just miss out on the game. Timed exclusive will definitely be how things go (except first party, of course).
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

5. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    Tecmo has announced "action game - genre: action" for PS3
    Is it a puzzle game? A dating sim?
    Last edited by Dolemite; 21 Sep 2005 at 12:36 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. There are still series that sell consoles, so of course it makes sense for Sony and MS to invest a little money in either securing pre-existing or attempting to make the new big hit. Might as well not make their own console at all if they don't have any exclusive games to lure in the buyers with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Is it a puzzle game? A dating sim?
    DOA Extreme Bowling.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

7. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    Shenmue: The latest in the saga of the ultimate in Japanese vapourware is that Sega has it mostly done, and is just shopping it around to see if anyone's willing to offer a sweetheart deal to make it exclusive. Sony would offer an audience more likely to buy it, but Xbox had II and Microsoft is desperate for Japanese content. Of course, they paid for II and it did nothing for them, so they may pass. Or Sega could not get a worthwile offer and just go multi.

Odds

Xbox 360: 50
    PS3: 50
    Nobody gives enough of a shit about Shenmue to even offer Sega a cup of fresh human urine for an exclusive deal, let alone money.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 21 Sep 2005 at 12:37 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Nobody gives enough of a shit about Shenmue to even offer Sega a cup of fresh human urine for an exclusive deal, let alone money.
    Sega,

SOLD.

Pleasure doing business,

Kev.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau

DOA Extreme Bowling.
    Shit, Id buy it, if it was online.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin