Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Viewtiful Joe DS discussion thread

1. Official Viewtiful Joe DS discussion thread

Figured I might as well make this official as I do not see another major thread on this game. Post all your impressions and opinions on the game here whether it be the import rev, or leading up to the U.S. port. Very positive impressions from IGN on the TGS build of the game here:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/652/652058p1.html

Sounds like the camera split option and other typical Joe "cinema mechanics" are complimented very nicely by the touch screen. Oh yeah, and check out the videos, impressively close to the Cube games:

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/682/682875/vids_1.html

Last edited by 1CCOSA; 17 Oct 2005 at 11:40 PM.

2. I've never played Joe myself - just watched my friend play. With my current DS obsession, I might check out this version and see what I thnk of the game.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

3. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    I've never played Joe myself - just watched my friend play. With my current DS obsession, I might check out this version and see what I thnk of the game.
    Excellent series. Beautiful use of cel shading/comic book visuals, very nice 2D beat 'em up system and overall great atmosphere (Joe and Sylvia are a very hip and funny couple, lots of Japanese superhero/Ultraman type homages). I'm sure you can find the first game for cheap. Using the various camera and slow down tricks to kill 'n combo the bad guys is hella addictive.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC
    I'm sure you can find the first game for cheap.
    I've seen the cube versions of both games for $10 apiece, and that's in Canada.

5. Damn, that does look very impressive for the DS.

Hopefully more games like this will come out and force other companies to stop gimping their 3D. The DS can do a little better than N64 graphics, but the devs can't seem to bother working towards anything that looks better than a low-tier PS1 game.

6. I'm amazed at how little visual downgrading has been done, and I'm sure it'll look better on the system.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

7. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    Damn, that does look very impressive for the DS.

Hopefully more games like this will come out and force other companies to stop gimping their 3D. The DS can do a little better than N64 graphics, but the devs can't seem to bother working towards anything that looks better than a low-tier PS1 game.
    IBTN.

Sad that the best looking 3D DS game is still Mario 64. VJ is gonna give the 3rd party devs a run for their money visually. Hopefully it will make some decent sales.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    I've seen the cube versions of both games for $10 apiece, and that's in Canada.
    See? You have zero excuse now, Shidoshi.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 27 Sep 2005 at 02:37 PM.

8. Last week IGNDS had a daily update on the various touch screen features of the game with full details and videos (gives you a better look at the graphics than the trailer, the game looks so flippin' sweet). Here is the first part, the rest are indexed on the middle-right side of the page:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/657/657988p1.html

An interesting excerpt from part 1 on the "slide" feature:

In one situation, a stack of crates on top of a pillar blocks Joe's way. By Splitting the scene, players can slide the boxes off the pillar and drop them onto the ground, letting Joe pass. In another instance, players will have to split the scene to drop a statue on a trigger switch, or move an erupting fire hydrant to where a flame needs to be extinguished.

But most creatively, there are times when you'll have to split the scene and keep it split to maneuver in the world. Take, for example, a room without a door. By splitting the scene, players can break the wall in the middle, and jump into the room through the gap that the scene split made.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 17 Oct 2005 at 11:37 PM.

9. Sliding and Scratching are the two most fucking annoying and counter-intuitive things I've done using a DS. Having spent a week with the game, I have carpal-fucking-tunnel syndrome from having to juggle shit.

It's pretty and it's Viewtiful Joe. Fans will eat it up regardless of how badly mangled their wrists become.
    Play Guitar Hero //

10. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    I've never played Joe myself - just watched my friend play. With my current DS obsession, I might check out this version and see what I thnk of the game.
    What he said. Once I'm done with Castlevania & Gunstar, hopefully this or Sonic can fill the side-scrolling void.
    -Kyo