Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ipod dead

1. Ipod dead

I bought an ipod on August 10th, it is the 20 gig color screen model.

As of right now, it will not turn on at all. I have:

Checked the battery cable
    Plugged the charger into the adapter to a wall socked I know is working.
    Plugged the charger into my PC's USB port
    Plugged the AC adapter charger into the Ipod

All to no effect (and it does not turn on for 3 seconds like the Ipod FAQ states it will on an empty charge).

Before you ask, no, it is not on "Hold" and, big surprise, when I connect it to my PC via the USB cable, Itunes does not see any device connected.

I am going to call Apple today to see what they have to say (the extent of the 'support' in the faq is toggle the hold button several times (does nothing) and hold the Menu button for 6-10 seconds (does nothing)), but I am curious if anyone else has run into this problem with an Ipod.

Keep in mind that my Ipod is less than 60 days old and has never been abused in any way, shape or form.

2. Return it.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

3. my friend's touchpad is dead. We opened it to try to fix it and then the whole thing died so now it doesn't turn on. I think he just got it last christmas, but didn't get the warranty.

You're still covered by the warranty. All that's left now is for spodaddy to enter the thread and laugh at you.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

5. Quote Originally Posted by MVS
    I am going to call Apple today to see what they have to say (the extent of the 'support' in the faq is toggle the hold button several times (does nothing) and hold the Menu button for 6-10 seconds (does nothing)), but I am curious if anyone else has run into this problem with an Ipod.
    I'm not sure if you did this, but you have to hold Menu and Select (the main button inside the scroll wheel) to get the reset to work. You turn Hold on, then back off, then hold those two buttons together for about 6-10 seconds.

If you did try it that way, then nevermind. If you have an Apple store near you, you can take it to them, even if you didn't buy it from them. Otherwise, yeah, just take it back to where you bought it. You probably just got a bum one.

Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    my friend's touchpad is dead. We opened it to try to fix it and then the whole thing died so now it doesn't turn on. I think he just got it last christmas, but didn't get the warranty.
    All iPods come with a one year warrentee from Apple, so if you hadn't opened it up, he probably could have gotten them to fix it.

I just want to say that I'm a big fan of buying iPods at Best Buy. You can get their extended warrentee for not a lot of money, and with theirs, at a certain point they'll just give you a new unit. The thing is, with as often as the iPods are updated, if you time it right, you can use this to basically trade in your old iPod for a brand new model, for even trade or just a bit more money if the new one you want is at a higher price point.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Hahahahaha

Ipod-1, MVS-0

Seriously though, return the Ipod. Most retailers give you a 90 day store warranty on mp3 players and Apple gives you a full year. If you can get a refund or store credit, do it and get a Creative player instead for half the price (A 60 GB Zen Xtra is the best mp3 player value on the planet). Then you can get a GameCube and some games with your savings

I echo the Best Buy sentiment, my 40 GB Zen Touch came with the offer of a full 3 year warranty for an extra 50 bucks.

7. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    If you can get a refund or store credit, do it and get a Creative player instead for half the price (A 60 GB Zen Xtra is the best mp3 player value on the planet).
    OR, he can just get a new iPod, instead of getting the Creative and coming to the realization that he made a poor choice.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

8. Creative's been putting out amazing products lately and gaining marketshare, and they've owned the flash based mp3 player market for years. Apple just ripped off the name of a Creative product for their new Ipod (Creative Zen Nano), probably to cause confusion for people that have heard about the Creative Nano through word of mouth. Ipod's got a more intuitive interface, Creative's got the edge in every other category. Their players are more durable, play more music formats, are compatible with PC's that don't run Windows XP, have many more features, are more versatile, can be used as portable hard drives, you can upload music and other files off of them, and Creative doesn't stubbornly insist on imposing artificial lifespans on their products (non-replaceable batteries). Unless your primary computer is a Mac or you're in love with the Ipod interface or image there's no reason not to get a Creative player.

9. I've head more about iPods going bad in the last few months than I ever have in the rest of the product's existence. This is troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    Unless your primary computer is a Mac or you're in love with the Ipod interface or image there's no reason not to get a Creative player.
    Of all the reasons you listed, you ignored the only one that matters: better audio playback. The Creative player I got to play with had this. It also had a clunky, unintuitive interface, buttons in weird places, and it was huge. No thank you. For the record, I replaced my 2G iPod's battery myself and it was a simple process.

I wouldn't call the Zen Xtra a poor choice in and of itself. It's just not a choice I'd ever make for myself. It is only a poor choice if you ever have a problem and need to deal with Creative's tech support. The nightmares I've had in the early days of XP with my SB Live Audigy were enough to make me tear it and the LiveDrive out and sell them off. No joke. It got to the point of them insulting people who grew tired of waiting for drivers and software that were promised and took forever to get there. I swore I wouldn't buy another one of their products since then. I haven't yet.

p.s.

OH GOD APPLE AND CREATIVE RIPPED OFF VIRTUAL PETS
    the humanity

Get off of it. The Zen Nano has no "word of mouth" hype. If anything, Creative's lucky. Maybe around the holidays, some confused parents who are rolling in money will buy Zen Nanos for their unlucky kids thinking they're the same thing as the iPod.

10. I assumed it went without saying that Creative's players have better sound quality when I said they're superior in every way other than interface, I just decided to list the less obvious reasons. A reason I forgot to mention is battery life, my Zen Touch 40 GB gets 24 hours on a 4 hour charge. Creative's tech support used to be awful but it's gotten much much better while Apple's has gotten progressively worse, and Apple's quality control seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Of course Creative's Nano has word of mouth support, Creative is the leader in the flash based mp3 player market after all. Also, if you can easily replace the battery in a current gen Ipod (without ruining the case) you deserve a medal.

You really thing it's absurd to think there's a connection between Creative launching a market leading flash based mp3 player called the Nano and Apple later releasing a flash based Ipod called the Ipod Nano?