Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8101112

Thread: HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray

1. I'm not sure why "DVD Extras" aren't possible on modern streaming, I'd happily give whoever's doing Criterion stuff a couple extra bucks a month for audio commentaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. Hulu says supplements are on the way!

They've been saying that for four years, though.

3. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I'm not sure why "DVD Extras" aren't possible on modern streaming, I'd happily give whoever's doing Criterion stuff a couple extra bucks a month for audio commentaries.
    The movie studios aren't going to let that happen. They want you to buy their physical product to get those added features.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    Reading through this entire thread has given me some good laughs and reminded me of a few things.

-There seemed to be some doubt that the new formats would fail to replace DVD. I guess that may have made some sense at the time but now just about everyone has an HDTV. I don't imagine it will be too long before even cable feeds stop offering SD broadcasts.

-Reading about the lack of support for analog vs digital when it came to composite connections vs. HDMI and the outcry over it. Basically, this solidified the point that anyone who buys 1st-Gen tech these days is going to see their products obsolete as it becomes more mainstream. Obviously we know now that HDMI is the standard and nobody uses composite connections anymore. Anyone who buys new tech like that as soon as it comes out for the absurdly high asking prices it launches at deserves to have their thousands of dollars wasted when formats change as the tech becomes more mainstream and drastically cheaper at the same time.

-Thinking that HD-DVD could possibly win the "tech-war" despite the fact that BluRay was provided for PS3 owners. Even though BluRay "won" and HD-DVD is a thing of the past, I still don't think I've ever seen a single stand-alone BluRay player in anybody's house. I don't think I even know anybody who has a strict BluRay player to be honest; at least not to my knowledge. I've never even heard about anybody mention buying one or owning one. I don't own a lot of BluRays but I do have some and when I offer to lend them out to friends or co-workers, the only people who can play them are people that own PS3s.

-I only know and have known one person who has an HD-DVD player and he often brags about how much HD media he can get on E-bay for absurdly cheap (at least what was released in HD-DVD format).

-Will there be a new format in the near future? I've read that the new 4K format is either approaching or actually exceeds the resolutions at which the human eye can actually discern any difference over image quality from the resolutions that are currently adopted by the market.
    Now you know two people with an HD-DVD player and a standalone Blu Ray player.

5. I gave away my standalone Blu-ray player and the disc drive in my PC also plays HD-DVDs. Does that count?