Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony neuters PSP demo kiosks.

1. Sony neuters PSP demo kiosks.

Looks like whenever the heck we get wifi demo kiosks here we won't be able to save them to our mem sticks. You have to stand in front of the kiosk, use game sharing to play the demo once, then walk away. Brilliant, Sony. Nothing more convenient after all than not being able to take a demo home and play it a few more times. I also refuse to update my firmware for such a lame "perk."

http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3144412

Even after a successful TGS showing, after days like yesterday with the Nintendo DS conference, Sony knows they need to start announcing PSP info. if they want to hold their ground. Today in Japan, they've revealed the first of many PSP playable demo stations where users can download demos of upcoming games.
    The games featured at this new station in Japan's Ginza area are: Piposaru Academy 2, Loco Roco, Job Hell 2000, Portable Resort, and Rockman Rockman. Walk near the demo with Wi-Fi turned on with a 2.00 firmware, click the game sharing option, and voila! Unfortunately, none of the demos save to the memory stick, so once the power's off, you lose the demo until the next time you're in the Ginza area.

Sony have also created a commercial airing later this month showing the demo booth, games, and reassuringly says, "Coming to your town soon!" Will a widespread selection of PSP demos help to combat the recent DS hype? Time will tell.
    After that whammo of a conference, not likely.

It's put up or shut up, Hirai. More games, less "gutter" smack talk.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 07 Oct 2005 at 10:55 PM.

2. Dosent nintendo have wifi demo stations...? and they been around for a year

3. If I was the type of person to post image replies, I'd probably post something like this. Thankfully, I'm not.

And, to be fair, you can keep the demo as long as you don't turn the power off. So just put your PSP to sleep, go home, plug in, and enjoy until you're tired of the demo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pspthing.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	17343  
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

4. What about demo disks in psm, or doesn't that count?
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

5. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    If I was the type of person to post image replies, I'd probably post something like this. Thankfully, I'm not.

And, to be fair, you can keep the demo as long as you don't turn the power off. So just put your PSP to sleep, go home, plug in, and enjoy until you're tired of the demo.
    Fair 'nuff. But saving to the stick is still better.

6. That's a great picture.

7. I'll be shocked if we ever see PSP demo kiosks, the unit is far too fragile to stand up to it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    I'll be shocked if we ever see PSP demo kiosks, the unit is far too fragile to stand up to it.
    Read first, then post.
    These are wireless download kiosks, not kiosks where you play demo unit PSP's.

Of course, you're probably right about the PSP no withstanding the abuse they'd take.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    Read first, then post.
    I hope he takes this to heart.

10. Walk near the demo with Wi-Fi turned on with a 2.00 firmware, click the game sharing option, and voila!

This leads me to believe it won't be very popular in 'Merica.