Thread: DS wifi setup menus revealed! (thanks cka) was Nintendo PR/wifi

1. DS wifi setup menus revealed! (thanks cka) was Nintendo PR/wifi

EDIT: Scroll down to cka's post to see a sideshow of the DS's wifi access menus.

Not much new here but it's nice to read because it confirms again that Revolution will be wifi online (here's also hoping it is still on track for '06 as the PR says) and summarized DS online details. It also sounds like the Nintendo Connection service will be unified somehow between the two systems (possible hint at a DS-Revolution link up? Upload your DS friends list into your Revolution maybe?) Now the big question, will it stay free or will they pull a PSO on us? The old hook 'n bait ya know.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3144397&did=1

We have some more details now on the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection announcement. A statement released by Nintendo of America explains:
    For the first time, characters from the Nintendo universe will be playable online, as part of a unique wireless community, accessible inside or outside the home. Nintendo DS(TM) games like Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World and Metroid Prime Hunters will require no additional charge for online play. Each is scheduled to launch in the coming months, along with the first third-party title using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, Activision's Tony Hawk's American SK8Land, developed by Vicarious Visions.

From home, if the user already has a Wi-Fi network, the Nintendo DS unit will connect directly to it with minimal setup procedures. Those who have a high-speed Internet connection such as cable or DSL, but no wireless network, can use the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, sold separately, that will plug into a computer USB port to create a wireless access point to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Outside of the home, players will be able to connect in a variety of ways, including at thousands of free Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection hotspots nationwide.

More details will be forthcoming, and you can bet we'll be waiting for them.

But that's not all. The press release also mentions the Revolution's Wi-Fi capacity:

Nintendo DS is just the first Nintendo system to connect via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. The same service will be incorporated into Nintendo's next-generation home console, code-named Nintendo Revolution, set for release in 2006.

"Nintendo has taken the online video gaming model and rewritten the definition of community," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales & marketing. "With easy setup and no added service fees, players far and wide will log in and play with one another as easily as if they were sitting in the same room."

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection will create a welcome, inviting atmosphere where video game players of all kinds can log on wirelessly and begin playing. The service will be used in different ways for different games. In Mario Kart DS, four players at a time can race over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Racers can pick opponents from their roster of friends, match up randomly against strangers of comparable skill levels or simply choose to race against anyone in the world. Mario Kart DS launches Nov. 14.

People who hang out in Animal Crossing: Wild World can travel to other players' towns or invite up to three other players to visit their own towns, simply by opening the town gate. The four players then can interact and play together simultaneously in one town. Players must know one another and register to their respective friend rosters before they can connect. Animal Crossing: Wild World is set to launch on Dec. 5.

Activision's Tony Hawk's American Sk8land will let players compete head-to-head in multiplayer games in a variety of modes. Players also can create custom skateboard art and graffiti tags, and share them with other players via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. The service will track global high scores and stats. Tony Hawk's American SK8Land will launch on Nov. 14.

Games in development include Metroid Prime Hunters, slated to launch in the first quarter of 2006. Players can hook up for play with registered friends, automatch with other players based on a skill-level match or play with anyone; Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection quickly finds the best match with other players online.

Well, it looks like Nintendo' Wi-Fi is for real! The question remaining is, will random players be able to connect to Wi-Fi from any Revolution in the area? Where will the Nintendo hot spots be? And, are they thinking of perhaps teaming up with Google?

....Just kidding on the last one. Although that would be pretty interesting.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 15 Oct 2005 at 03:25 PM.

2. http://www.flickr.com/photos/apreche/sets/1139761/show/

slideshow showcasing the ds' wifi setup

3. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/apreche/sets/1139761/show/

slideshow showcasing the ds' wifi setup
    Slick! Thanks man. I think I will rename the thread a bit....

4. I have no doubt that this will stay free (for Nintendo first party software), Nintendo seems to be pushing the free angle as a giant part of it's "doing online right" campaign.

5. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    I have no doubt that this will stay free (for Nintendo first party software), Nintendo seems to be pushing the free angle as a giant part of it's "doing online right" campaign.
    Iwata also equated "free" with "easy and simple set up," let's hope he sticks to it, then I really won't care about paying for Revolution ROM downloads at all.

6. I'm impressed that Nintendo's coming out with the USB wi fi connector, I can't think of something they could possibly be doing to make their online service simpler to use that they aren't.

7. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    I'm impressed that Nintendo's coming out with the USB wi fi connector, I can't think of something they could possibly be doing to make their online service simpler to use that they aren't.
    Yeah, even though we have an access point here at work I'm going to get one anyways, because they turn it off at night and it's locked up a few offices away. So for when that happens I will have the handy USB plug.

edit: Or if I am out of town or at a friend's house of course.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 15 Oct 2005 at 06:53 PM.