Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of trying Gamefly

1. Thinking of trying Gamefly

Considering the past 4-5 games I've bought were disappointments and sold on ebay, I'm thinking of renting all my games from gamefly and only buying those few that are actually worth it (dragon quest 8).

So has anybody tried gamefly? Is it like netflix where you make a big ass list, and they send you stuff at random? Do you have a hard time or long wait for certain games?
    You don't have to be smart; you don't have to know the facts, you just have to be confident.

http://gamercards.exophase.com/37676.png

2. i tried it when it forst started. distro plant was in ca, im across the country in pa. needless to say i only got several games a month so to me it wasnt worth it. i have no idea if they've added more distro plants since then.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Beefy Hits
    So has anybody tried gamefly? Is it like netflix where you make a big ass list, and they send you stuff at random? Do you have a hard time or long wait for certain games?
    I just signed up again after a year absence, they've raised their rates a little on their entry plan and lowered them on their top plan. It is like Netflix, you create a "Q" of games you want to rent and they send you the next available game. As for waiting, it depends on the game and system, obscure or older games generally mean a long/longer wait, while new and popular games are generally always available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    i tried it when it first started. distro plant was in ca, im across the country in pa. needless to say i only got several games a month so to me it wasn't worth it. i have no idea if they've added more distro plants since then.
    I live in GA and the turn-around time is still pretty lousy, if you're on the east coast I've heard gamerang is a better option.

Honestly, I think I'm probably going to ride my subscription out through next year and then cancel it again, as convenient as it is, the turn-around sucks [for me] and I think going to Blockbuster or something would be better than $14 a month for a game that shows up a ~week - week and a half after they've shipped it. YMMV.

4. They don't send you games randomly, it's up to you to make your list in the order you want to recieve games. Only draw back is turnaround times, I tried it a year ago or so and if I sent out a game on a monday, I'd get the next one around Thursday. It's best if you have at least 2 games out at once so you can send one back and still have another to play. Don't know if Blockbuster still has their gamerpass, but that was really good too. Only drawback is the stores selection and it takes them longer to get new games.

It depends where you live, a distro center could be close and you'll get games fast. Like with netflix they expanded around me and I get new movies in 2 days (send on a monday, recieve a new one on Wednesday). But they have a free week trial or so, I say give it whirl. Don't like it then cancel it. Nothing to lose.

5. I just subscribed about a month and a half ago. Yeah, the turnaround time can be a bit too long, that's why you subscribe to the two game plan so you always have a game to play while waiting for the next one in the mail. Even though I may only getto play four games a month or so, that still averages out at $5-6 a game which is a hell of a lot cheaper than paying $50 for new releases. That and they have pretty much any game I want for the current systems, which is a lot more than I can say for Blockbuster. If you decide to keep a game their used prices are generally cheaper than retail chains and they ship you the case for free.

For someone like me who tends to only play through games once and does'nt care about owning a bunch of games I'm never gonna play again it's great.

6. ...off-topic. You guys should look into http://www.gametap.com

7. Here is my experience with Gamefly.

- I got a free 30 day trial from a large Cherry Coke at Del Taco. The coke was excellent.
    - I ordered 2 games.
    - They arrived a week and a half later and not even on the same day.
    - I returned the games and realized that barely anything they had worth getting was out of stock.
    - I cancelled.

Not even free was Gamefly worth it.
    Play Guitar Hero //

8. Thanks for the heads up. Hmmm.. Sounds kinda risky to me. SInce I'm in the midwest I'll probably wait forever to get them. I think I'll go with the current rental model of "Buy the game for $50, then sell it on ebay and get maybe 1/2 of the price back"
    You don't have to be smart; you don't have to know the facts, you just have to be confident.

http://gamercards.exophase.com/37676.png

Do you have a Blockbuster near you? "Life beyone late fees" and all that new shit.

How much is this a month? It's not like this is a huge investment like buying a house, just pay the $15 or whatever and do it.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery