Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Unveils Quad G5 Power Mac

1. Apple Unveils Quad G5 Power Mac

The Power Mac G5 Dual, with a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US), includes:

dual-core 2.0GHz PowerPC G5 processor;

512MB of 533 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable up to 16GB;

160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE with 128MB of GDDR SDRAM
    three open PCI Express expansion slots: two 4-lane slots and one 8-lane slot;

dual Gigabit Ethernet ports;

16x SuperDrive(TM) with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW); and

ships with Mighty Mouse and Apple Keyboard.

The Power Mac G5 Dual, with a suggested retail price of $2,499 (US), includes:

dual-core 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 processor;

250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB of GDDR SDRAM

16x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW); and

The Power Mac G5 Quad, with a suggested retail price of $3,299 (US), includes:

two dual-core 2.5GHz PowerPC G5 processors;

250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB of GDDR SDRAM

16x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW); and

Low-end and mid-range systems are now dual-core cpu instead of dual-cpu, and high-end has dual dual-core cpu, and the whole product line is now PCI-Express. I don't know if this makes up for the absence of a 3GHz G5, but this is quite the swan song for PPC-based Macs.

I want 16 gigs of ram.

3. Those are some mother fucking fast computers. I was thinking of getting the 20" iMac, but now I might just get the 2.0 PM. I'm still a bit underwhelmed by this announcement, since rumors for this have been building so much. Still, a great way for them to transition into Intel macs.

4. For 3300 bucks they only come with 512mb of ram? I call shenanigans on that.

5. You don't want to get your RAM from Apple anyway.
    If they came with 2GB, they'd be $400 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Interpol
    Those are some mother fucking fast computers. I was thinking of getting the 20" iMac, but now I might just get the 2.0 PM. I'm still a bit underwhelmed by this announcement, since rumors for this have been building so much. Still, a great way for them to transition into Intel macs.
    Even the 2.0GHz model is pricey, but on the upside, the entire product line finally has the same expansion options.
    In fact, they all have identical motherboard configurations, with the exeption of the quad having two cpu sockets.

6. Apple RAM is incredulously overpriced. If you're capable of buying and installing RAM yourself (dear God I hope so) always buy the lowest configuration from them.

16 Gigs? Holy mother of God, I thought my PC motherboard supporting 6 gigs was pretty high up there. I don't want to know how much 16 gigs of RAM would cost.

Well, I guess this is a good time for my iMac (15" 1st gen iLamp) to be dying. Pretty awesome replacements now.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Interpol
    Those are some mother fucking fast computers. I was thinking of getting the 20" iMac, but now I might just get the 2.0 PM. I'm still a bit underwhelmed by this announcement, since rumors for this have been building so much. Still, a great way for them to transition into Intel macs.
    Unless you really, really need that speed, I myself would go with the iMac. It by far is the best Mac for the money currently, and is not a bad little machine at all.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

8. Yeah, these Power Macs really are overkill for anything other than scientists, engineers, or creative professionals.
    As much as I'd love to have one, I'd have about as much use for all that horsepower as I would for a scanning electron microscope.

9. so i've been eyeballing up a mac mini myself. one question, i see they have 56k modems and that airport stuff.....but what if you don't have a wireless router? do they have standard NIC cards for Macs? and i assume the graphics aren't upgradable in that small package but then again i wouldn't expect them to be in the IMac either (since a PowerMac is out of the question for me)?

10. For that amount of money I could build two equivelent PCs, but what else is new? Macs are useless from a hardware standpoint.