Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Apple Unveils Quad G5 Power Mac

1. Quote Originally Posted by Crafter
    "incredulously" overpriced? wth?
    A bit late, but here. If you are defending Apple's RAM price, I'll admit I hadn't noticed the recent drop in price. It used to be around $200 for a 512 upgrade in iBooks last I had checked.
    Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    I wouldn't touch them until the Intel versions hit in the first half of next year.
    See, I'm in need of a new Mac really soon, but I also need a laptop for college next year. Doesn't make much sense so don't try to reason with me, but I can't replace a desktop with a laptop. Laptops irritate me if I have to use them as the only option. If I can get all the scholarships I have lined up to cover 80% of my first year's total costs, I might have enough to get a used G4 iBook and a G5 iMac, or a mini if I end up liking them enough.

I won't be buying anything until late spring/early summer though, so that will give me time to see how the Mactel switch pans out. I have a personal thing against buying first-generation Apple products now, though, as both my first line iPod and first line lamp-style iMac have had a few issues that aren't present in later versions. If the Mactels are awesome and all of that, I might try to hold out until their second production and get a desktop one.

Also, on the subject of the Intel change, how exactly does this effect software? I've heard a LOT of conflicting reports from Apple users and web sources regarding software compatibility.
    Last edited by Nomi; 29 Nov 2005 at 03:34 PM.