Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me upgrade too pls

Help me upgrade too pls

So check it. I have a computer that is only used to do a few things.
    It houses all the media. Azerus is always running. iTunes is always running. Soulseek is always running. Its usually streaming media to my xbox too.

It likes to get all worked up and freeze at 100% processor usage.

Its a pentium 4, 1.6 ghz w/ 768 megs of ram.

I'd like it to run all these programs smoothly. I'd like to start making Divx rips of my DVD collection too.
    I don't give a shit about games or anything like that.

I'd like to run dual displays.

I've been using laptops for so long that I don't know shit about anything anymore. Can anyone help me out a bit? Reccommend some parts, whatever.

2. toms hardware has a decent setup for $500 here and dwhile it says "gaming pc" its pretty good for anything.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20051014/index.html

or you can never go wrong with the sharky listings (tho probably overkill for your needs)
    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/...708_3550661__2

3. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Azerus is always running. iTunes is always running.
    yeah, upgrades aren't gonna help with your 100% cpu usage here

My p4 2.8 ghz laptop with 512 megs of ram used to be in this situtation, and it never pegged and stayed at 100%.

So I imagine that if I get the right system together anything is possible. Even running two programs AT THE SAME TIME!

5. not those two

I can run them both at the same time on my laptop. I know its possible.

If you don't want to help me then don't help me. But please stop being a bandwith wasting douchebag and cut out the useless posts pls.

7. I don't think it's your specs that are the problem.
    I've had four times as much shit running on my old Sempron 2200 with 512MB RAM, and I don't think it ever locked up.

8. You might have a ventilation problem causing your system to overheat, or some piece of faulty hardware. You system really shouldn't just lock up like that normally.

9. Once my friends computer kept fucking up, and when we opened it up, a loose wire was jammed in the cpu fan.

This does not help Josh in the least though.

10. I was thinking you may need to install another gig of memory with all those programs you're running.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"