1. New Computer! :D

These are the specs on the computer I just bought:

Intel Pentium 4 630 - 3.0 ghz
    Intel 915PBLL Motherboard
    1024 (512x2) DDR2-533 RAM
    200 Gig hard drive
    Geforce 6600 GT videocard
    16x+/16x- DVD writer

I paid about 1200 for this a couple days ago. I get it on Friday. Finally I can play WoW again.

I was thinking about uping the RAM to 2 gigs, but is it really that necessary?
    I just wanted a computer that can play WoW really well and the next games like Oblivion and Team Fortress 2 - whenever that comes out.

2. 2 gigs of ram is unnecessary. you should have beefed up that video. you'll be lucky to keep 30fps with good details on even in todays games like doom3/quake4/fear.

$1200? what overpriced built to order place did you order that from?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    2 gigs of ram is unnecessary. you should have beefed up that video.

Yea.. a bit unnecessary now..but it'll be great for the future. As for the video card I agree..if you want a pc that'll last for years which I assume you do (I do a full upgrade every 3 years myself) you should have went all out..well..as much as you can afford anyways.

I also think you should have went with a Athlon 64 X2 cpu (dual core) in a 939 socket motherboard. Like I said..I assume you want something that'll last years. Like ram, dual core is unnecessary now but in a couple of years it'll come in handy.

Your pc is just fine though and should provide plenty of great gaming. I think his 6600GT will do just fine in Doom3/Quake 4/FEAR.. my 9800 does just fine with max details and the 6600GT is a tad faster than the 9800 especially in OpenGL based games. I don't think he'll get 60fps on them and putting AA will cripple frame rates but it should be just fine.
    Last edited by raystorm; 26 Oct 2005 at 01:08 PM.

4. i hope that's $1200 with monitor. It seems overpriced to me. I built my computer that kills that for $1050 (- monitor)

edit - unless that's canadian dollars, and then i have no idea how that price is
    Last edited by stormy; 26 Oct 2005 at 02:02 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    i hope that's $1200 with monitor. It seems overpriced to me. I built my computer that kills that for $1050 (- monitor)

edit - unless that's canadian dollars, and then i have no idea how that price is
    yeah that was my point as well. he better have thrown one of those dell monitors in for that price.

6. Im canadian, so it's CDN price.

Right now, I have a Geforce 3 Titanium 500 so I think this is a nice upgrade.
    I played WoW and Halflife 2, Doom 3 and all those on this computer I have now (Pentium 4, 2 gig, 512 rambus ram) and I got this because I want something better. Plus my old one is a Dell which is hard to upgrade. So now I can at least get better stuff soon.

7. should have sprung for a 6600GT, but the 1GB of ram is fine.

8. Quote Originally Posted by jonas
    Im canadian, so it's CDN price.

Right now, I have a Geforce 3 Titanium 500 so I think this is a nice upgrade.
    I played WoW and Halflife 2, Doom 3 and all those on this computer I have now (Pentium 4, 2 gig, 512 rambus ram) and I got this because I want something better. Plus my old one is a Dell which is hard to upgrade. So now I can at least get better stuff soon.
    If you're in need of cash for upgrades, you should sell that old RAM.
    Rambus memory is fucking expensive.

9. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    should have sprung for a 6600GT, but the 1GB of ram is fine.
    he DID get a 6600gt.

10. 6800gt then