Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mp3 organizer

1. Mp3 organizer

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent, free or cheap solution to quickly fix the mess of files that are my mp3 collection?

I like my files in a specific setup, with subdirs under an artist folder for the different albums.

Yes, I tried iTunes since its free and everyone just seems to love it, and it just made things worse, totaly screwed up capatalization and made 2 seperate folders for things "The Beatles" and "Beatles" not to mention splitting up what were orginized folders into seperate folders for albums like "Everyone Else Is Doing It Why Can't We" and "Everyone Else Is Doing It, Why Can't We"

Thank god I had it backed up before I fixed things.

I have cover art for a lot of the stuff too, in the album folder as folder.jpg which windows seems to like and there is a plug-in winamp and the HTPC program I used to use, iTunes seems to ignore it totaly.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

You should try iTunes. It's free and everyone loves it.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

You're a stupid asshole. Your mp3's tags are not done properly. Use MusicBrainz tagger, or fix them in itunes manually.

itunes reads the tags and uses this to sort. Your windows explorer folder system is for noobs and faggots and is 100% to blame for why all mp3 files on the internet are tagged incorectly. I hate you.

Don't cry about it, start managing your music collection correctly.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Don't cry about it, start managing your music collection correctly.
    I agree with this. It's a long process but ultimately worth it, and this is coming from someone with ~18000 songs all labeled correctly in every field (except BPM)

MusicBrainz Tagger makes it easier.

I used to use amazon.com to look up CDs and tracklistings. It was a fucking nightmare.

6. I hear that, I used to do that with cdnow.com

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    You're a stupid asshole. Your mp3's tags are not done properly. Use MusicBrainz tagger, or fix them in itunes manually.
    Thanks you for your informitive, constructive, and educational post.

Of course I fucking know my mp3s are tagged incorrectly, I was looking for an easier way to fix this shit. I though iTunes would help, it didn't. It even messed up stuff that I had ID3 tagged properly myself.

MusicBrainz does seem to be what I need, so thanks....dick.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat
    Of course I fucking know my mp3s are tagged incorrectly, I was looking for an easier way to fix this shit. I though iTunes would help, it didn't. It even messed up stuff that I had ID3 tagged properly myself.
    I'd be willing to bet you didn't tag it properly yourself if iTunes "messed it up".

iTunes does make it really easy though. Load up your shit, select large groups of incorrectly labeled mp3s, right click>get info, and fix them.

I don't envy your task, but its so totally worth it in the long run.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    I'd be willing to bet you didn't tag it properly yourself if iTunes "messed it up".
    They were tagged correctly, I know for sure, its stuff I ripped with EAC myself, iTunes renamed and moved files to completely wrong directories.

For example, a rip I did of NIN's Downward sprial, now has had its files moved to 3 different directories, one is "Downward Sprial" one is "The Downward Sprial" and one is "Calie's Birthday CD" The ID3 tags contained within were correct, as it was EAC and Lame that created them using the freeDB info.

I can understand the mess ups with "The" but "Calie's Birthday CD" ? where the hell did that come from?

MusicBrainz so far has been great, missing a few Doyle Bramhall II albums, but otherwise identified about 98% of my stuff correctly..

10. Spend $10, buy a dimebag. Sit in front of your computer and smoke a blunt. Guarenteed you will get that shit done.