Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to buy a turntable

1. Need to buy a turntable

Help.

My latest CD purchase put me over the edge. I just can't do it anymore.
    Unfortunately, I have no frame of reference to sort out crap turntables from good ones from total overkill.

So what would go with:
    Decent-ish Sony 80's era 2-channel receiver
    and
    Big-ass Klipsch speakers (like these guys)

2. how much are you willing to spend? the store I work at has tables ranging in price from $150 (lower end stantons and numarks) to $2000 and above (high end DJ stuff, DVD/CD turntables)

edit: after mulling over it for awhile you could probably be just fine with a $150-200 belt-driven table if all you're gonna do is listen to music on it
    Last edited by cka; 03 Feb 2010 at 01:51 AM.

3. Get a Technique 1200. That's all you'll ever need.

4. I have a friend selling a battle setup of Technique 1200s on Craigslist for $800

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...582464389.html

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mr-K View Post
    I have a friend selling a battle setup of Technique 1200s on Craigslist for $800

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...582464389.html
    Thanks, but I just need a single turntable for listening so that is more than I'm looking for.

So, these Technics 1200's... What makes them the standard for DJs? I always guessed it was durability, but if it is the sound then I'll put it on my list.

I use an Audio Technica clone of a Technics 800 and I LOVE it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I use an Audio Technica clone of a Technics 800 and I LOVE it.
    What model is the Audio Technica?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    So, these Technics 1200's... What makes them the standard for DJs? I always guessed it was durability, but if it is the sound then I'll put it on my list.
    Durability is certainly one of the big factors with 1200's. They are built like tanks and survive the road well. I've never heard anyone complain about the sound of them though, and are pretty reasonably priced. Built as they are, it'll be the last one you ever need to buy.

9. So then the question:
    Is there anything out there for about the same price that trades off some of that durability for better sound? I'm looking to listen in my living room and never move the turntable anywhere.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'll check the model # when I get home tonight.