Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALERT!!! Sony's DRMed CD installs malware in your system!

1. ALERT!!! Sony's DRMed CD installs malware in your system!

Thanks to Stormwatch in the shmups forum for finding this. Buy a legit CD from Sony and here is how you may be rewarded as their customer:

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html

<snip> I deleted the entry, but got an access-denied error. Those keys have security permissions that only allow the Local System account to modify them, so I relaunched Regedit in the Local System account using PsExec: psexec –s –i –d regedit.exe. I retried the delete, succeeded, and searched for $sys$ again. Next I found an entry configuring another one of the drivers, Cor.sys (internally named Corvus), as an upper filter for the IDE channel device and also deleted it. I rebooted and my CD was back.

The entire experience was frustrating and irritating. Not only had Sony put software on my system that uses techniques commonly used by malware to mask its presence, the software is poorly written and provides no means for uninstall. Worse, most users that stumble across the cloaked files with a RKR scan will cripple their computer if they attempt the obvious step of deleting the cloaked files.

OMG! AND IT HAPPENED ON MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP!
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

Good thing only suckers buy CDs.

4. Guess I'm a sucker then, cuz my CD buying gets out of control sometimes. I was gonna go to best buy today but decided against it since my better judgement told me to save my money for my thousands of dollars of debt that I'm in.

5. What? Download everything, you say? Yes yes, I think I'll do just that. Good advice. Thank you Sony!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. the king kong demo for the pc puts shit on your pc as well. and that's "supposedly" a free download.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Good thing only suckers buy CDs.
    IBTN. And the record companies wonder why we have no guilt downloading everything in sight.

8. Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    IBTN. And the record companies wonder why we have no guilt downloading everything in sight.
    Yeah... given the choice of pirating the music and taking a small chance you'd get infected with something that'll fuck up your PC, or getting the actual CD and CERTAINLY getting infected with something that'll fuck up your PC... what brain surgeon thought this would HELP sales?

Then again, I'm not affected by any of this. I rip CDs on my Powerbook, and this nonsense is Windows-only.
    For a dark man shall come unto the House of God, and the darkness shall be upon him, yea, even within him.

-- From Noctropolis: Night Visions

http://www.darquecathedral.org/images/drkcathedral.jpe http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/mko.jpe

9. Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor
    OMG! AND IT HAPPENED ON MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP!
    Yep, thats the problem, not that its the OS with the staggeringly massive market share.

Protip: turn off auto-run.

BTW, what is being done here by Sony and first4internet is illegal in many states and several countries.
    Last edited by Wildkat; 01 Nov 2005 at 01:29 PM.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

10. With these things happening, I'm sorta glad I went OS X. When they get around to ruining that platform, I guess I will have to look at Linux or something else. Sometimes it pays staying off the mainstream.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."